RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, unlocking "for good" means I can change and re-program anything that can be reprogrammed in the BeCM, including areas that are off-limits to existing tools, like unlocking a BeCM that has been locked before, changing VIN, security and etc.

BeCM chip supports JTAG, which is a serial line protocol used for debugging embedded electronics. Among other things, it allows you to read and write memory on the chip. This allows you to manipulate all settings in the BeCM, including those not normally available to scan tools (BeCM unlocking after it has been locked, key and security related stuff). It is possible to rig a simple add-on device to read and write BeCM memory via JTAG. There are a number of inexpensive devices that can be used for this purpose. Some of them can be talked to via WiFi or Bluetooth, allowing you to use any android phone or tablet to do the programming.

While none of the above is rocket science, I am a better programmer than I am electronics guy. Who would like to participate or co-develop this? I understand that P38 are old and inexpensive at this day and age, I don't intend to make any money on this. I intend to open-source the software on github. If some vendor decides to make a buck by providing the service modifying ("unlocking for good") the BeCMs it would IMHO be valuable to the community.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If a can find a cheap spare BECM, I'm ready to spend time helping to develop that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If a can find a cheap spare BECM, I'm ready to spend time helping to develop that.
I'll look for one as well. They are not terribly priced these days. Last time I got BeCM+ECU+Cluster (all from the same truck) for $144 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To me, unlocking "for good" means I can change and re-program anything that can be reprogrammed in the BeCM, including areas that are off-limits to existing tools, like unlocking a BeCM that has been locked before, changing VIN, security and etc.

BeCM chip supports JTAG, which is a serial line protocol used for debugging embedded electronics. Among other things, it allows you to read and write memory on the chip. This allows you to manipulate all settings in the BeCM, including those not normally available to scan tools (BeCM unlocking after it has been locked, key and security related stuff). It is possible to rig a simple add-on device to read and write BeCM memory via JTAG. There are a number of inexpensive devices that can be used for this purpose. Some of them can be talked to via WiFi or Bluetooth, allowing you to use any android phone or tablet to do the programming.

While none of the above is rocket science, I am a better programmer than I am electronics guy. Who would like to participate or co-develop this? I understand that P38 are old and inexpensive at this day and age, I don't intend to make any money on this. I intend to open-source the software on github. If some vendor decides to make a buck by providing the service modifying ("unlocking for good") the BeCMs it would IMHO be valuable to the community.
I'll look for one as well. They are not terribly priced these days. Last time I got BeCM+ECU+Cluster (all from the same truck) for $144 shipped to my door.
Can you tell me where you got these. I'm at a roadblock on my p38 and refuse to scrap it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts