RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow interesting thread , i just pulled the trigger on ebc front and rear , rotors and pads. And now a group a buy for tune is bond to happen..:naughty:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wow interesting thread , i just pulled the trigger on ebc front and rear , rotors and pads. And now a group a buy for tune is bond to happen..:naughty:
ebc? I just ordered the DiscItalia Carbon Ceramic pads today. Gonna try and get them installed next week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you install the pulley yourself or did you have a shop do it for you?

And as for the ECU bit, is it possible to just set it back to original with that same unit?
I had a shop install the pulley for me.

Yes, you can flash it back to factory setting easily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
DiscItalia Carbon Ceramic?

Installed last year, you will be VERY HAPPY!!!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
DiscItalia Carbon Ceramic?

Installed last year, you will be VERY HAPPY!!!
I just installed mine yesterday. Fingers crossed they dont dust as much as the stock pads did. That was awful.

PS - i have brand new pads for all 4 corners, original LR. Dealer installed them before i picked up my RRS. I took them out after 280 miles. They do bite, but i couldn't stand the dust.

I just made an appointment at a local shop to do the baseline Dyno next Thursday at 9am. I'll also test with and without K&N filters to answer that question at the same time. Will post videos of everything if I can.
Please keep us posted on the dyno. I am VERY interested. Debunk the K&N myth AND get to see a baseline. You are the man.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
RangeR-Over;2165889Hopefully the vendor will see this thread soon... `)[/QUOTE said:
REALLY? Have you thought of posting in their vendor forum so they can actually SEE the requests being made?

Our real vendors have their own sections down below that obviously you have not clued in on. ASK them... in their forums about their products. You will get first hand knowledge and answers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the EBC rotors and pads. Had mine since last December and the brake dust was greatly reduced.

Btw, you also got rear rotors? Wasn't available when I tried to buy them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the EBC rotors and pads. Had mine since last December and the brake dust was greatly reduced.

Btw, you also got rear rotors? Wasn't available when I tried to buy them.
Yep got the rear rotors as well. They Released recently i believe.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,159 Posts
Hmm. My main issue with a tune was worrying about warranty issues as I extended and have plenty of coverage left. Even with flashing back you leave a trail with how often the computer is accessed, but it sounds like the dealer really has to be paying attention to notice.

I’d be intrigued with a group buy. 604 hp would be insane.

·
Vendor
166 Posts
Also, how noticeable is the power increase? No disrespect to the team at Velocity AP, they seem well liked by those have purchased their tune. However, I still have not seen a before/after dyno reading of a RRS Supercharged with their tune. I know they exist for the same engine in the Ftype R etc. but none on this platform. Another vendor with a V8 tune was accused of exaggerating their power claims on this forum. It couldn't be hard to do themselves or offer to reimburse a customer the cost if they did it and posted the results here.
As you alluded to, the engine on the 5.0SC Range Rover is exactly the same as the one in the FType. All the 5.0SC applications use the same engine, and same Bosch MED17.8.31 management system from 2014MY-on, except the XKR, which was being phased out so they stuck with Denso. So a base 'V8S' FType with 495BHP has the same engine as the SVR FType, SVR Range Rover, even the Project 8, which has 600BHP. Getting 605BHP out of this platform is largely just a case of unlocking the power that is deliberately limited in factory software.

We're all about transparency, sharing our data, having our customers share their data. The more the better. The bigger the body of data supporting the gains, the better. That being said, to go from 575BHP FType SVR calibration to 605BHP doesn't require a lot of suspension of disbelief to see how it's achieved :)

·
Vendor
166 Posts
For those who haven't seen the longer thread on our tuning - we have a coupon code for forum members. Enter RANGEROVERFORUMS at checkout and it will activate a 10% discount coupon. It's a single use coupon per customer, so you may decide to save it for something with a larger price tag, like the valvetronic exhaust rather than the tune.

Thanks for the interest everyone!

·
Vendor
166 Posts
As you alluded to, the engine on the 5.0SC Range Rover is exactly the same as the one in the FType. All the 5.0SC applications use the same engine, and same Bosch MED17.8.31 management system from 2014MY-on, except the XKR, which was being phased out so they stuck with Denso. So a base 'V8S' FType with 495BHP has the same engine as the SVR FType, SVR Range Rover, even the Project 8, which has 600BHP. Getting 605BHP out of this platform is largely just a case of unlocking the power that is deliberately limited in factory software.

We're all about transparency, sharing our data, having our customers share their data. The more the better. The bigger the body of data supporting the gains, the better. That being said, to go from 575BHP FType SVR calibration to 605BHP doesn't require a lot of suspension of disbelief to see how it's achieved :)
I should note - the 2017MY Range Rovers (and 2018MY Jags) switched over from 17.8.31 to 17.8.32, when they made the switch from the Canbus network to Flexray.

·
Vendor
166 Posts
I just made an appointment at a local shop to do the baseline Dyno next Thursday at 9am. I'll also test with and without K&N filters to answer that question at the same time. Will post videos of everything if I can.
A couple of notes/suggestions for dyno testing. These 5.0SC engines are VERY sensitive to heat soak, and will quickly reach over-temperature protection modes on the dyno, if adequate airflow is not present. We have had a couple of customers hit over-temp protection on baseline runs, let alone tuned runs. You can tell because AFR will suddenly plunge into the 9-9.5:1 range. A couple of little carpet dryer fans are really not adequate.

It is getting harder and harder to dyno tune vehicles as everything gets faster & faster. We recently achieved the World's first complete and functional ECU Tuning on the McLaren 720S platform, and in 5th gear(closest to 1:1), that car is topping out at over 160MPH. Intake air temperatures get so hot, so fast on forced induction and it really is impossible to achieve 160MPH airflow or anywhere near it on the dyno so it becomes very challenging to accurately document the real world gains because the car starts to get hot & restrict performance.

·
Vendor
166 Posts
If you really want to see power - we have a dyno test from a customer's FType R, added the tune + our crank pulley and picked up 83WHP. I only have a crappy camera phone pic of the dyno screen but we should have the full printouts shortly.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A couple of notes/suggestions for dyno testing.....
I tend to agree. I never really liked Dynos in general because with the same care, same tune, same day I'll get wildly varying results just minutes apart even if heat is not an issue.

Annnnd, the Dyno place just called me and informed me that although they have a AWD dyno, it has a weight limit and they don't believe they can handle the RRS. So I'll have to find a new place.

Here's what I'm considering doing instead.

I'm going to road-dyno the car. I have a ODB-II reader and the dashboard app which measures 0-60 runs pretty accurately. I'll Do a few runs with and a few without the tune. I'll also do the same with the different filters just to be certain we have everything covered.

Thanks for the 10% code. Any chance you can sweeten the deal for a group-buy? Maybe for this week only? Judging from the replies to this thread there were at least 5 or 6 people waiting for a nudge to dive in.

One more question on resetting back to factory map. Since I have an SVR, will the device reset back to SVR map or the the basic SC V8 map if I decide to go back to "Normal"? I'd hate to lose the SVR map :)

Thanks for the informative replies.

21 - 40 of 156 Posts