RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is sacrilegious heresy to some but personally I believe it’s perfectly OK for a vehicle with 510bhp 5.0 S/C engine capable of 0-60 in 5 seconds not to sound like a battery operated hairdryer or a very tired mosquito. As quiet as a Queens fart, as they might say in England.

Rovers, black ones in particular, exude a certain brooding presence and IMO a “refined with a hint of menace” exhaust note isn’t inappropriate.

I’ve mentioned on other threads my efforts to give some level of “body” to the exhaust note and now, after way too much time and way too much money, I’ve given up – you can’t give this car louder without it droning in the cabin. To be clear though, I have an ATB LWB and I think that’s the problem, otherwise everyone buying aftermarket exhausts would be sending them back and complaining, which apparently they aren’t.

That said, the SV exhaust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDguKGuDIv4&feature=youtu.be sounds pretty good, so it must be possible. The confusing thing though is in crawling under an SV the exhaust system seems to be the same, right down to the part numbers stamped on it.

Land Rover have obviously done something other than just strapping on a louder exhaust, so my question is do we have anyone who has access to someone who can help us understand what it is?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know this is sacrilegious heresy to some but personally I believe it’s perfectly OK for a vehicle with 510bhp 5.0 S/C engine capable of 0-60 in 5 seconds not to sound like a battery operated hairdryer or a very tired mosquito. As quiet as a Queens fart, as they might say in England.

Rovers, black ones in particular, exude a certain brooding presence and IMO a “refined with a hint of menace” exhaust note isn’t inappropriate.

I’ve mentioned on other threads my efforts to give some level of “body” to the exhaust note and now, after way too much time and way too much money, I’ve given up – you can’t give this car louder without it droning in the cabin. To be clear though, I have an ATB LWB and I think that’s the problem, otherwise everyone buying aftermarket exhausts would be sending them back and complaining, which apparently they aren’t.

That said, the SV exhaust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDguKGuDIv4&feature=youtu.be sounds pretty good, so it must be possible. The confusing thing though is in crawling under an SV the exhaust system seems to be the same, right down to the part numbers stamped on it.

Land Rover have obviously done something other than just strapping on a louder exhaust, so my question is do we have anyone who has access to someone who can help us understand what it is?

I have the same concern though I believed that exhaust should have on/off button (like Porsche PSE) or its drone-less. Hopefully someone with SVA chimes in...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If only. Land Rover tie their spare parts to the car by VIN. The only way to get an SV exhaust is to have an SV in the first place.

Presumably an effort to stop people buying a lower spec car and adding parts to equal the spec of a more expensive one for less.

Which makes perfect sense were it not for the "fact" (so I have heard more than once) that one of the best selling versions in the US is the ATB which costs "$40k more for only $20k more kit".

Not verified the latter but a commonly held perspective.

Also not verified but I highly doubt the SV has $40k of upgrades over the ATB. Except perhaps that elusive exhaust note...

:)

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Ex-Pat, don't let yourself be controlled by silly rules :cool: ... where there is a will, there is always a way! You need to find a friendly service department that is willing to use a borrrowed VIN to order any parts you want. They will do it and charge you an arm, a leg and a kidney for the service! Several of us here got our ATB Black wheels with this method. They might first say it can't be done, but if you are willing to pay msrp+ for a part, they are usually willing to find a VIN and make a profit! It isn't like you are trying to get a free part or claim something under someone else's warranty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dropped into my dealer today and after salivating over the 3 (3!) Pagani Huyara's, 24 Lambo's and at least that many Bentleys, including 4 Bentaygas, I took an SV for a spin.

It just simply does not sound like this at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDguKGuDIv4&feature=youtu.be

Can't explain it, maybe different in the European market?

Took a picture of the VIN though, Ms. Mdx, in case i want some shiny knobs.

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently I can't spell "Huayra".

Took me 3 attempts to spell "Bentayga", even with the page open right in front of me...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well i bought the 2 SV back boxes and the tips and get it installed today at my local LR dealer - hope it sounds any near so good as an SV :razz:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have just got my car back - Oh my god - it sounds fantastic - decent V8 rumble - not to load but way louder than before ! :twisted:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news! I'm really surprised.

I have the rear boxes and tips from the magnaflow system; they are much smaller and they really didn't make much difference. At one point my exhaust guy took the entire exhaust OFF at the cats, and it was still quiet!

The SV boxes must have some magical properties.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am really, really happy with the result - the sound is just like in the above SVA video that you posted. I paid 1.090.-- pounds for the two rear Muffler and the two Finisher/Tips

parts No.

S LLR073397 N/STK FINISHER - EXH
S LLR073398 N/STK FINISHER - EXH
S LLR077696 N/STK MUFFLER - REAR
S LLR077695 N/STK MUFFLER - REAR
S LLR077700 N/STK CLAMP - EXHAUS

@

Duckworth
Racecourse Garage, Willingham Road, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire LN8 3RE
Tel: +44 1673 842101
Parts Direct Tel: + 41 673 844722 ask for Dan - he is the guy in charge :)
Fax: +44 1673 844410

Emails: [email protected]

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dudes.

Sounds familiar to the bi-model exhaust systems I've seen fitted to W427 corvette powered 2008 Holden Commodore GTS/Pontiac GTO's ?

Love the double twin tips exiting the rear of your "fully sick mate" Mk4 FFRR and technically speaking it really suits a 5.0ltr Supercharged V8.

If members on the forum would like to install some mild to wild exhaust systems for their beast, visit http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com !

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Hi-line
Perth, W.A.

P.S. My Ohio born and bred friend downunder - thinks my extra small block 3.5 V8 Classic sounds like a Nascar engine at 'full noise' dudes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do still wonder if this is a Market-specific thing?

Your European Rover ATB now sounds like the European Rover SV in the clip. My US Rover ATB still sounded like a fart in a vacuum even with the exhaust completely removed from the Cats back, and the part numbers for the rear boxes are the same for both ATB and SV.

And Land Rover won't let you buy the SV parts anyway unless you have an SV VIN...

Not like the Americans to prefer things quieter though….

1 - 20 of 27 Posts