RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought an '06 full size with 110k miles because I heard it had a much more reliable engine than earlier models. I knew the previous owner/s had overheating issues, as seen by opening the hood and seeing white coolant overspray all over the engine bay near the reservoir. Well, I sorted that out, it just needed to be bled correctly. It starts and runs well, the gauge staying at 12:00 instead of creeping up after five or so minutes. But now, after a couple of minutes (not at startup), it starts steaming out of the exhaust. No milkshake, nothing in the coolant.
My question is, assuming the worst, what are the smart decisions I can make going forward?
Bail out now.
Buy the head gasket set and stick it out.
Find a verified good running engine from a wrecker and swap it.
Out of curiosity, what do smart people do at this point?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,191 Posts
Are you driving it, or is it just sitting in the driveway, I assume since you're in So Cal cool temps and high humidity aren't an issue? If its just sitting it may be as simple as moisture in the exhaust pipes steaming off as the pipes warm up. If it doesn't go away when the pipes are fully up to temp then you have a problem.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
You need to eliminate a head gasket issue: Compression test, leak down test, spark plug and piston top examination (for signs of steam cleaning), and of course look at your oil and coolant for signs of cross contamination. If these check out it could be as Mark C states.

Also take a look at your PCV system for signs of failure.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the question I had needed to be clearer. Assuming the worst, being a blown headgasket, what should someone do, of the three choices I posted above?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,191 Posts
If its a blown head gasket replacing the head gaskets and getting the heads checked out is by far the most economical choice. If the cylinders are cracked then you have no choice but to either replace the engine or part it put.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts