RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Experts, please...

Years ago while offroading the stinking stereo bounced enough to cut and ground the White/orange wire feeding it with all the resultant smoke. The car kept running.

Since I've had massive intermittent starting issues that always sem to come back to that one stinkin' wire which seems to be the central nervous system for the damned thing.
OK, fine, I'm a friend of Mr Kettering and seem to comprehend a plus battery to the coil and a ground will produce a spark. You'd think!! Over and over again I fight this battle of no start. I haven't ripped the dash out again yet to wiggle the harness which will fix it for awhile.

The real question is how can I bypass all the electriquery to run the poor sod on a simple points ignition??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mr. who? My stereo was connected to white orange wire from ignition switch. Your short may have shorted out the fuseable link, there is a bundle of heavy wires coming from pos battery terminal in which there are many fuseable links, one on each wire. Maybe You could bypass fuse on w/o wire.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
classicjack said:
You've never heard of Charles Kettering? The originator of the distributor spark ignition system we all love. :lol:

Steve, you don't say which year model RRC you have. Have you traced the wire through the diagrams to see what else it's connected to?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once again I fail to identify the topic, apologies to all...

This is a 90 RRC County and the ignition has been a trial since the rebuild. It's often fixed by a radical massage of the harness but I'm now thinking the dreaded White/Orange wire is a red herring.

Even a test rig of a coil, + battery and an intermittent ground on the negative side (at the battery) fail to provide a spark.

After a half days reflection and a few stiff drinks I'm now wondering if I have a serious and intermittent ground problem? I know a lot of Chevies have ground straps to each head and I have two big ground straps left over from the rebuild. Does two plus two sometimes equal four? :think:

I'll dick around with that a bit in the morning but then I have to get serious about the next weekends race, no more time for the Rover.... `)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Steve, I think you're on to something. My Range Rover has a ground strap attached to each head, and only one of them was OEM. I put them both back when I redid my head gaskets last winter, even though the wiring diagram only showed one ground strap from the port-side head and none from the starboard head. I figure some previous owner tried to solve an ignition problem, perhaps when they fitted composite gaskets (the ones I replaced with steel gaskets after reading up on this forum).

Scott

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
p38arover said:
classicjack said:
You've never heard of Charles Kettering? The originator of the distributor spark ignition system we all love.
I've heard of him, but not for that. I know him for the inventor of the starter motor after a friend broke his arm starting a Cadillac. He also worked with Packard on using Freon in A/C systems even though he was the founder (or one of them) of Delco. Side note, the fridge in my 46 Packard was original and had a stamped "Kettering" plate on the compressor and trunk units. Not too shabby for a car that is still on the roads after 60+ years and no service on either of the A/C systems. :thumb:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't know....

Added a ground strap that didn't seem to help and then completed the mod for the HEI amplifier. Now it's running again??

Are the original amplifiers known to be intermittent??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts