RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Range Rover sport hse with 80,000 miles. When I’m going over 50mph I hear a loud whistling noise that gets louder as I go faster. It sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side, under the hood. The sound only is present when I press the gas, as soon as I let off, the sound goes away. Suggestions please

·
Registered
37 Posts
As RRtoadhall suggests I would suspect a vacuum leak. hearing it while you are inside the car is somewhat unusual tho.

To make sure it is not speed related have you tried changing down gear at say 45 mph so that the engine is turning over at the same speed as you are
in a higher gear at 50?

Also rev the engine up while listening with hood open at a standstill.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The noise stops immediately when I take my foot off the gas
Yes, that's what happens with a vacuum leak. Think of an old carburetor... You step on the gas, the throttle plate opens, the vacuum sucks gas through the jets, the atomized mixture enters the cylinder... Now instead of the open throttle plate you have a disconnected hose or a loose clamp on a hose you step on the gas pedal the vacuum pulls air through the open end of the hose, crack, loose fitting and it whistles. Let your foot off the pedal and back pressure replaces the vacuum and the whistle stops. I am still betting you have a vacuum leak. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a decent video I just posted on YouTube, right when the video starts is when you can hear the sound really good.
https://youtu.be/5-VAr2uzZOg
I’ll have to research how to inspect the vacuum hoses then. Let me know what you think about the video

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
51 Posts
Maybe pop the hood and have someone bump the rpm up and hold it while you look around to see if you can replicate the sound. If not, then maybe its something else in the drivetrain

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe pop the hood and have someone bump the rpm up and hold it while you look around to see if you can replicate the sound. If not, then maybe its something else in the drivetrain
I’ll try this but I’ve only heard it when going over 50mph

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If it is speed/throttle related it is under the hood. It's not like the old days when the vacuum advance to down shift the tranny would pop off and it sounded like a cat screaming under the car at 50MPH.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
Possibly different whine is what you are hearing...lifting the gas pedal takes the load off. I'd get a fresh fluid flush on both the front and rear diffs and see if that helps. As long as it's not failing, you may just have to live with the whine as it's just a slow degradation of the diff.

Other than that...what sort of conditions are your tires in...how much tread left and have you checked tire pressure lately?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts