RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on a new sound that I've noticed recently.

I hear a whine or whistle, like blowing over the top of a bottle, when the vehicle is decelerating at a speed of 29-25mph. The sound does not change or go away if I coast in neutral or when shifting gears. It is not the brakes, nor the AC. The sound is not rhythmic like a rotating wheel hub. It seems to be closer to the front than the rear. I sometime hear it when accelerating at the same speed range, but it is most noticeable when coasting.

It may be the cold/freezing weather here in NJ but engine temperature and speed do not seem to impact the sound. I am waiting for a warm day to see if it continues.

This is for a 2014 RRS L494 3.0L V6.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
26 Posts
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on a new sound that I've noticed recently.

I hear a whine or whistle, like blowing over the top of a bottle, when the vehicle is decelerating at a speed of 29-25mph. The sound does not change or go away if I coast in neutral or when shifting gears. It is not the brakes, nor the AC. The sound is not rhythmic like a rotating wheel hub. It seems to be closer to the front than the rear. I sometime hear it when accelerating at the same speed range, but it is most noticeable when coasting.

It may be the cold/freezing weather here in NJ but engine temperature and speed do not seem to impact the sound. I am waiting for a warm day to see if it continues.

This is for a 2014 RRS L494 3.0L V6.

Thanks!

Do you have the top end sound system? This has a feature called Conversation Assistant. My car has this too. It has microphones in teh back that pick up sound and channel them via a speaker by the sun visor. They have an issue though (that RR has been unable to fix), that causes a hum when they pick up noise. You have to disable the Conversation Assistant to make it stop. RR has no fix for the issue.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Maverick, I don't have conversation assist; and the sound is clearly coming from the exterior. Now that I'm focused on the sound it definitely sounds like an wind/air-related issue, but somehow related to a very narrow range of vehicle speed.

I took some time yesterday to examined the air intake and air filters to ensure they weren't fouled or damaged and in doing so I noticed that the foam pieces that JLR used to seal the air intakes in the fenders to the hood have completely dry-rotted. There is one on each side of the underside of the hood/bonnet. Here are some photos.
0205191639a.jpg
0205191639.jpg
They are thoroughly cracked and dried out. Big chunks of foam have separated and are laying on the fenders. The vehicle is barely 5yrs old and I have to say I've never seen such poor quality rubber. JLR should really do a better job on things like this.

I am going to replace the rubber pieces to see if this is the cause of my noise. If so, I will report back.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I suppose it could be that But if it is happening in such a small window of speed i wouldn't think there would be enough wind drag through that area of the hood to cause such a noise at that low of a speed. I would think that noise would get louder the faster you went seeing you are passing more pressurized are through the engine compartment and out the vents. Just my thinking, Could be wrong. Keep us informed..

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
I had this. Thought it was belt or supercharger noise. Turned out to be a poor finish on the right half shaft. In topic there is a bulletin out for it. Had mine replaced under warranty. 2016 RRS SC 5.0

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
can you try and attach the in a different way cannot read it.. Thanks

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
can you try and attach the in a different way cannot read it.. Thanks
I have tried on mobile and laptop, no joy. On mobile I can only upload pictures which are auto-scaled to an unreadable resolution by the website. On the laptop I f I try to upload as an attatchement I am presenteed with a white blank popup box with no further options/actions. Just trying to post text on the laptop website says I can't because I have attached more than 20 images (I haven't attached any to this post:) Chrome and Safari OSX. Its all a bit web 1.0 I'm afraid. Back to mobile...

I'll try copying and pasting the text from the document below...not sure if the site will like it but I give it a go...

22/01/2019

TOPIx - SSM72995 - L494 & L405 Differential Axle Tube Assembly Noise

Reference Models
Title Category Last modified Symptom Attachments Content

SSM72995
Range Rover / L405 Range Rover Sport / L494
L494 & L405 Differential Axle Tube Assembly Noise Driveline
16-May-2018 00:00:00
597997 Driveline Noise Concerns
11SSM72995 Attached File.pdf (11SSM72995 Attached File.pdf)
Issue:
Noise evident to the front of the vehicle at 10-40 MPH/16-64 KPH on a smooth road described as a groaning, scraping or drone noise on vehicles produced within the following vin ranges –
LG Range Rover - LG000001 to LG351464
LW Range Rover Sport – LW100000 to LW152017
LW Range Rover Sport - LW300000 to LW399999 LW Range Rover Sport - LW500000 to LW599999 LW Range Rover Sport - LW600000 to LW687306 LR Discovery – LR000001 to LR017639
Cause:
A poor finish of the front right halfshaft journal diameter can produce a vibration and rumbling noise through the vehicle when it rotates directly against the needle rollers in the differential extension tube bearing.
Action:
Remove the front right halfshaft to confirm poor finish on journal diameter.
If the journal diameter shows evidence of poor finish (refer to attached file page 1), replace the halfshaft and differential extension tube. For halfshaft replacement refer to*TOPIx section 205-04: Front Drive Halfshafts. The differential extension tube replacement procedure is covered under differential case remove/installation, refer to*TOPIx section 205-03: Front Drive Axle/Differential.
Once the repair is complete please take photo’s of the manufacturing data on the old the halfshaft (refer to example on attached file page 2) and raise a Quality Report EPQR.
Technicians - Please rate this SSM and provide comments so that future communications can be improved.
1 = Poor – Basic information provided – The SSM does not help me resolve the customer concern.
3 = Average – Adequate information provided – The SSM partially helps me resolve the customer concern.

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=896302&groupId=1592 1/2

22/01/2019 TOPIx - SSM72995 - L494 & L405 Differential Axle Tube Assembly Noise

5 = Excellent – All required information provided to resolve the customer concern.

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=896302&groupId=1592 2/2

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I have replaced the foam seals and the noise has gone away... I will continue to monitor the sound but I may have found the issue. Took ~ 3 min to pull the old seals off and snap the new ones in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Glad to hear it.... Another nag solved. Thanks for letting us know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts