RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started two days ago... A whistle that seems tied into engine RPM.

Sounds like its coming from the AC compressor

I found this thread
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28735&hilit=belt+whine

How many of you are living with this? And is it getting worse?

Good source for the compressor? OEMs look to be running for around $700, but there are several reproductions of the compressor going for sub $300...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was part of the thread you referenced. Had my compressor replaced under warranty and I still have the whine. Very noticeable at low RPMs...but it's not always there. Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it's terrible and sounds like something's gonna explode it's whining so loud.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if that's the noise.. Mine just sounds like like a whining belt driven accessory...

The poster in that thread said it was an easy job, taking that pulley off doesn't look easy... Wonder if he still posts so we could get more details, I'd try it.

The noise developed out of nowhere, it just started one day, hasn't got any worse or better.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took a closer look at this... It does appear the pulley to compressor gap may be a little too close... The belt is slightly overhanging or exactly flush with the pulley up front, but there is a decent amount of exposed pulley surface not being used by the belt on the back side near the compressor. Although the initial poster said this was an, "easy job," I see zero way of accessing this pulley short of pulling coolant hoses out of the way... Access from the bottom looks even worse.

Anyone have some info as to the removal of this thing?

TIA

~Brad

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brad, sorry I don't know enough to give you any insight. BUT...if you do figure out that this is the root of your whine please let us know. I think we have the same noise.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, as soon as I get some time I'll be pulling the skid plate off and taking a closer look at possible access points... Be nice if I could reach it easily from the bottom... I'll let you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts