RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Getting a bit of a whine in the engine bay...front bits. sounds abit like a turbo comming up to boost.....but last I checked no turbo on this one. it is constant, and it is not Secondary air blower.....

front right..can not really isolate it between alternator, or idler pully. sounds in that general area. Any thoughts on what it may be?? or do I jsut start changing out,,,cheapest first till it disapppers??? I

2000 4.6 HSE

Thanks for any direction.

Don Scott

·
Registered
540 Posts
Most likely the alternator bearing. mine does the same from time to time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
care to elaborate on alternator bearing? i myself have an industrial goran/whine in the passenger engine area. everything works great...problem is you can hear it working. increases with rpms in pitch and only get it every so often. on the whole would appreciate a tip on quieter bels.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine turned out to be the bearings in the alternator. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Or power steering or AC pump or tensioner or, wait for it, the one that everyone forgets to check is the.......
idler pulley located under AC pump but best to detension belt and remove from alt. then check all the other
moving bits as mentioned, ah I forget to mention AC pulley bearing..

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes. And that idler seems to be at least $80. Anyone found a more reasonable replacement.

·
Registered
271 Posts
After I pulled the alternator and changed the bearings only to find the whine did not go away, I discovered my whine was from the right side idler pulley by the tensioner. At least that was the cheap one. For some reason as mentioned above, the left side idler is more expensive. Many reports of whine from the tensioner pulley, too. Any bearing in any pulley on the accessories could be at fault. It can be difficult to isolate. I put a mechanic's stethoscope on my alternator case and was convinced that the whine was from there, but the idler pulley whine traveled through all the metal to the alternator case, fooling me.

Brett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts