RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put onto my 1972 rangie the later type steering UJ with a rubber donut on it , I have seen these for sale,

eg

but which end is the donut? Steering column end, or steering box end? I need to know as I may have clearance issues on my vehicle due to the mods.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Mine's toward the steering box end. However, I've posted the question here if it could be reversed to get the rubber flex joint further away from the exhaust manifold. No answer though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Out of curiosity what is the benefit of these rubber donut shafts, I have a plain steel one on my Rangie and a spare donut one in my shed. Is it worth me swapping them over, I've just fitted a new steering box and should have done it then really, doh! :roll:

·
Registered
134 Posts
rtkraken said:
Mine's toward the steering box end. However, I've posted the question here if it could be reversed to get the rubber flex joint further away from the exhaust manifold. No answer though.
If your's is fitted with the dounut nearest the steering box then it has been fitted incorrectly.

The purpose of the rubber coupling is two fold.
1.It isolates transmitted noise away from the steering wheel.
2.Reduces vibration.

The same type of coupling was fitted on the propshafts on the later models.

To fit the shaft the other way would have required all the joints slackend off and the box disconnected from the chassis. The sliding portion at the box end allows the shaft to be changed without removing the box because there is more travel.

Another improvement for early models is fitting the harmonic damper to the steering damper mounting.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Box... Column.... Donut..... Let me simplify to reduce any potential for confusion. In my vehicle the flexible rubber coupling is situated at the forward end of the steering shaft assembly. You're saying this is wrong?

Cool, I thought it was a poor spot as it's so close to the exhaust manifold. I'll reverse it when I change it out. 8) Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks,
yes i was thinking the original design is strange because the body is rubber mounted, yet the steering had just metal connecting it, and that must transmit vibrations not only from the steering, but from everytime the body moves around on the rubbers too.

Edit: 6th feb, picked one of these shafts up locally. yay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts