RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When rebuilding my engine last year I discovered that it had a 4.6L engine from what I assume was a discovery but I also see that the p38 Rovers also had a 4.6 engine. My starter has gone out and I thought they would all be the same part but apparently they are not? So since I have no idea what the engine came out of, i'm not sure which starter to get. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
it is the same starter with all the buick based engines, 3.5 to 4.6. the part number changes based on manufacturer ie. bosh, napa, denso,lucas. the physical difference would be a standard versus a high torque.
high torque
standard.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what thought, but the parts companies all list them with different compatibilities.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There might be small differences. I'm not sure about the starter specifically, but for example, the alternator generally didn't change until the 95 model, but some earlier trucks had V belts and later had ribbed belts so the pulleys were different. Small thing to know when ordering so you get the right one - if you have questions, I'd recommend a call. I called BP Utah on the alternator question to make sure I got the right one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts