RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts on the best oil to run in the P38? I have a 2000 with 175,000 miles. I have been using Mobile 5/30 synthetic.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Try using search, we have talk this into the ground...

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
canyouhearme987 said:
Anyone have any thoughts on the best oil to run in the P38? I have a 2000 with 175,000 miles. I have been using Mobile 5/30 synthetic.

20w50 SynPower Valvoline since you are already running synthetic.

If you want a cheaper oil use Valvoline VR1 20w50

Remember the Wix oil filter.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Whatever is on sale. It all looks the same after it leaks onto my driveway anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Whatever is on sale. It all looks the same after it leaks onto my driveway anyhow.

Advance auto has Valoline on sale for dirt cheap. I dont know for sure but I think synthetic is only around $5 a bottle with a decent filter.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
no synthetic in the RR for me. I like knowing there's a little bit of tyranasaurus rex in my RR while I'm driving.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I agree with you. But judging by his post he likes synthetic, and hes going to destroy his engine running such a light oil.

VR1 is the best with that kind of milage. Heavier oil to fill in the wear

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
"Re: Which oil do you use?
by kmagnuss » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 am

Whatever is on sale. It all looks the same after it leaks onto my driveway anyhow."

That is awesome... So true...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
kmagnuss said:

Advance auto has Valoline on sale for dirt cheap. I dont know for sure but I think synthetic is only around $5 a bottle with a decent filter.

Advance had been running some decent oil change specials lately, yep. I picked up a filter and I think 5 or 6 quarts of Royal Purple for less than $40 a few weeks ago (for the Saab, not the P38). I just nabbed a PureOne filter and 5 qts of Valvoline synthetic blend last weekend for $19.99 for a friend's car too. Kinda sucks that sometimes you have to buy a certain type of filter to get the deal, but as much as synthetic is these days it is worth it in the end.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I go the sales route as well, though usually I stick w/ Castrol for whatever reason. Weight wise, I just follow the RAVE-5w/30 mineral for me.

There's always a sale going on at either Pepboys, Autozone, or O'Reilly's over here. The most recent deal that I got was $12.99 for 5+ quart Castrol jug and a Purolator premiumone filter combo. Can't beat that.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Castrol 5w30 for me.
Never had a single issue, and still going strong at 198k miles.

Martin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Castrol 10w-40 for me. Decent,cheap,used on all my vehicles. As for the oil filter i just stick with Bosch.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Curently using millers cfs 5-40
with a KN oil filter
6 month changes

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've been running 5w-30 in mine with no problems. The rover does not tick EVER, it does make this weird whining noise which i suspect is the oil pump. On the next oil change I want to use shell rotella which is what some of the other members have suggested.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wasn't there a thread about people recomending putting diesel engine oils in the engines? Diesel oils are better at scrubbing the carbon away, they have better additives? Any thoughts on this?
Regards
Paul C

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
cunpr said:
Wasn't there a thread about people recomending putting diesel engine oils in the engines? Diesel oils are better at scrubbing the carbon away, they have better additives? Any thoughts on this?
Regards
Paul C
Yes, use search to find the numerous threads that have been made already? ;)

Martin

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi to All, I just drive mine into the Rangie man and leave it to him he has'nt let me down yet ( 10 years) just cant be doing with all that laying on the ground. best regards sillyboy.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
sillyboy said:
Hi to All, I just drive mine into the Rangie man and leave it to him he has'nt let me down yet ( 10 years) just cant be doing with all that laying on the ground. best regards sillyboy.
Worst post ever.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts