RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out playing in the snow last saturday and i got a low tire pressure warning. I just topped off all tires yesterday (for the first time) and saw that I have three different styles of valve stem caps. Which is the factory one...if any of them? Thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
618 Posts
I always switch mine out with chrome caps from Discount Tire.
Otherwise I don’t care as long as a) they do the job they are suppose to and b) they are all the same.
If you’re losing air, you may want to check for a leak. The purpose of the valve stem cap is not to prevent air from leaking but to keep dust and dirt out of the stem.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies. Looks like the silver ones are it.

With TPMS most manufacturers provide grey/silver plastic cap with Orings at the end. I purchase them by a bag of 100. It seems every car in the shop is either missing a couple or they are cracked.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252168543488?chn=ps
You da man, thanks for the link! I'll order today.

Otherwise I don’t care as long as a) they do the job they are suppose to and b) they are all the same.
If you’re losing air, you may want to check for a leak. The purpose of the valve stem cap is not to prevent air from leaking but to keep dust and dirt out of the stem.

Sent from my iPhone X
Thanks for the input. I don't think I have a leak, but I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

Sent from my iPhone X
We don't all live in TX tho, so they're not really all the same. Your chrome cap would pit and begin oxidizing almost immediately then become seized on the threads of the valve stem during winter. I just use plastic ones, whatever fits... Also if you have tpms a little antiseize on the threads and a deep plastic cap to protect em. I recently just had all the TPMS pulled off my snow tires because they just don't hold up to winter that great. Had 3 shoot valve stems out over the years. This is the aluminum style, tho I think you can get plastic/rubber ones now. Rubber ones almost never do that, and when they're on the way out you can tell based on the dry rot. Summer wheels run tpms still.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,766 Posts
Yea, and LR issue a warning not to use metal caps on TPMS sensors as the difference in metals may cause corrosion that can damage the sensors. That is why pretty much every new car comes with plastic caps and why most car makers changed over to grey/silver ones.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
618 Posts
Yea, and LR issue a warning not to use metal caps on TPMS sensors as the difference in metals may cause corrosion that can damage the sensors. That is why pretty much every new car comes with plastic caps and why most car makers changed over to grey/silver ones.
Interesting that no one advised me if that. But this is my first vehicle with TPMS and I’ve only had it since October. So, learning experience. I’ll change them this week.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine are on order. I can't imagine ever going thru the 100 caps so if anyone needs a set, send me a PM.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received the 100 count pack of the grey caps and installed them. Then, I stumbled upon theseeeeee, which should go probably after winter :).
They are original Land Rover accessory.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
63 Posts
Are these plastic or metal? As has been previously mentioned, the metal ones are BAD. I had a very ugly incident happen on my old LR3 where I simply stood there and watched the tire deflate after pulling off a metal one which seized onto the stud. It wasn't a pretty picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts