RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I've been searching on this great forum to find out which head gasket I need but I cannot find it..
Here's the case: I have a Bosch 4.6 P38 from 1999 which has an upgraded head with 14 bolts instead of 10 bolts. I can only find 10 bolt head gaskets (composite) for my engine, I believe the 14 bolt (3 row) gaskets are for the older engines.
Should I use a 14 bolt composite gasket (for a 4.2 engine, same bore) or just use the 2 row gaskets and tighten the extra 4 bolts a little less?

Thanks

Best regards,

Luc

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
14 bolt head gaskets were never used on P38s because there is are no 14 bolt P38 heads. 14 bolt heads would be from an older Classic and certainly would not be any kind of upgrade. P38 engines don;t even have have holes in the block for additional bolts.

I would check the left side of the block for the engine code found between the centre two cylinders. It sounds like someone has installed an older Rover engine for whatever reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done some research on this engine (Can't find a number), it's a modified one with new liners and new heads. The extra 4 holes have been drilled in for extra support to the head. Since the heads are removed at the moment we checked the bore and the stroke; bore is 94mm, stroke is about 82mm.
The reason the heads are off is because it kept blowing coolant fluid out of the overflow tube of the coolant tank. We suspect the head gasket, the one which was installed was a cheap one with 14 holes. I cannot find a good quality composite one with 14 holes. I think we will install a Reinz 10 hole gasket and add some material of an extra gasket under the 4 bolts to avoid too much pressure there.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the 10 hole composite gasket is designed to replace the 14 hole, as 14 hole is NLA or produced. in theory you should be ok with the newer gasket on a 14 hole block.
the engine id should be stamped on the deck next to the dipstick unless it has been deleted.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
since you are going this far you should use ARP head studs #124-4003 instead of stretch bolts You can get a much more even and accurate torque. DO NOT torque to the 80 lbs as directed withe studs. Only torque to 65. Make sure to use oil on the washer for an accurate torque reading.

Elring is OE Rover standard head gasket. ERR7217

I imagine your block was skimmed during the liner replacement thus the number is no longer there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies, I agree with you on the ARP studs, we already ordered and recieved them.

·
Super Moderator
2,231 Posts
There is a reason why they went from 14 bolt to 10 bolt and it wasn't to save the cost of 4 additional bolts but to PREVENT head gasket failure. It was found that with 5 bolts along the top and 9 along the bottom, the heads were not held down evenly so over time would cause the head gasket to fail along the top and blow into the Vee. Official advice from LR now is if rebuilding an older engine with 14 bolt heads to fit the 4 lower bolts but DO NOT torque them down, just fit them no more than finger tight. Someone has obviously not thought through why the change was made and actually made your engine more prone to head gasket failure than less. In your case I would fit a 10 bolt head gasket, use 10 ARP studs and ignore the additional holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts