Range Rovers Forum banner

Which gas engine would you choose for towing?

• 4.4L

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • 4.2L Supercharged

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Range Rover Sport S/C
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically speaking you have two L320s. One has the 4.2L S/C and one with the 4.4L.

Towing would be light to medium-duty. Nothing near max. OEM 7716lbs listed for both engines.

Which one do you set up for towing and why?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
615 Posts
Sir, there was a several articles about RRS+Towing issue due to short wheelbase there seems to be stability issues and Full Size RR is much better suited vehicle in that retrospect.
I understand that you are not at the point of choosing which one buy to but have these already, just wanted to let you know that people made number of complains in this regard. May be google it, do some research.

·
Registered
2009 Range Rover Sport S/C
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roman... I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Current needs are with respect to small utility trailers for dump runs and possible a small runabout boat. Not about to tow any 30' travel trailers or anything...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,498 Posts
4.4L has plenty of power for towing. I've towed for many years a motorcycle trailer (800 lbs) plus a motorcycle (550 lbs). Up and down mountains, no sweat at all. You barely know the trailer is there....tons of power from the RRS. I should imagine you'll have no trouble with either engine choice.

I'm running a 2017 Diesel FFRR now, same story, plenty of torque, power...towing a trailer hardly makes these vehicles break a sweat.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
69 Posts
i tow a ~2200 lb boat once a week or so with my 4.4 - no issues at all - barely feel the load at any speed. even going up and down hills, the engine has enough grunt to power through it. the suspension leveling itself to compensate for the load is a nice touch.

Reactions: PJPR01
1 - 5 of 5 Posts