RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have SWB Pajero and Range and i am very confused is to which car to take for long drive of 1500 km one way and it will run 4000km in 5 days. As per stability n road comfort wise Range is better, as per reliability Pajero is better. Both car is in pristine condition and following job has been carried out by me lately since i bought the car.

2000 Range Rover Autobiography (4.6 Engine with banana type manifold) with 110k KMS with EAS system still alive and kicking fine
New fully synth engine oil, new gear oil, new (3) diff oil, new coolant, new battery
3k run spark plug, plug wires and two ignition coil
Changed Crank position sensor, Cam shaft sensor, Evap sensor, Two relays for ignition and fuel system
It has rarely used Michellin tyres and good life on brake pads, and decent condition engine belt (1 no)
Been to two long drives of 200 km at speed of 140 and never had any overheating or other issues
In 5 months of ownership had only starting problem once which got fixed with relay, other than that Car runs and AC works brilliant

1999 SWB Pajero (3.5 Engine with 24 valve DOHC)
New fully synth engine oil, new gear oil, new (3) diff oil, new coolant, new battery
New 3 head NGK spark plug, plug wires and 3 ignition coil, new brake pads, Axle boots, ball joints, clutch fan
It has rarely used Cooper ATR tyres and decent condition engine belts (3 nos)
Been to three long drives of 100 km at speed of 140 and never had any overheating or other issues
In 2 months of ownership had only overheating in desert (only) issue which got fixed with clutch fan and AC works brilliant

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We always use the RR.
Last year to the Pyrenees, 5500Km, 140 on the motorway, and Low Range crawling
up mountainsides in 40°C+ heat. No problems.
This year we 'only went to Copenhagen and only travelled 1600Km in a week.

I know which car I would choose.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
go which ever one you like.

personally no point owning a car you don't feel comfy enough to jump in at a seconds notice and run off on a long trip.

That being said I don't trust my P38 but did a long 3500km trip in it just on a month ago, only problem was heater o rings went and I had to do a little roadside pipeing to get home without wet feet :)

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I'd go for the Rangie.
A few weeks ago I had to go and help a friend who'se engine broke down in Germany. Total trip was about 1250km, with a cartrailer, loaded on the way back. I drove 2 stints of 5 hours between stopping for gas and food, and never felt uncomfortable.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
These kind of posts always crack me up. Your Rangie is jsut as likely to fail close to home as it is out on a trip. I had no hesitation hopping in my rig and driving from Seattle to Charlotte and back. That trip racked up a little over 7000 miles. Would I do it again? Hell yea. If you like your Rangie, drive it. If you leave her at home she will get jealous and leave you stranded as soo as you get beck. :mrgreen:

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Is it a difficult question really?... which car would I rather leave at the side of the road if/when it breaks? I have a 2005 V6 Holden (GM) Crewman dual-cab AWD utility, a 2001 TD4 Freelander and a 1999 P38 Rangie. For comfort and tackle-whatever-obstacles the Rangie wins hands down, for get in and drive and don't care the Holden Ute is a no brainer, for economy the TD4 is the Greenie choice. All have iPod integrated stereos, cruise control and decent HVAC systems. Only the Rangie makes me feel good when I'm driving it.

Rangie usually runs MT tyres that are more comfy, but noiser, that HT's... Freebie runs Copper ATR's... and the Holden runs some generic things that grip well and are less noisy than the roof rack wind whistle.

Freelander driving position is ok... Holden gives me a sore back even with lumbar support... Rangie is like sitting in a lounge-chair. Never driven a Pajero with the same comfort level.

'nuff said...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have driven both cars for long distances (of course more in the P38) And inmy mind there is absolutely no doubt.... Take the P38 - better suspension - due to the longer whellbase the P38 is not so sensitive to wind - seating position is also better, the autobox shifts smoother.... There is a reason why a Range Rover is considered the best 4x4 car in the world.

Ferdinand who has a secret background in the Mitsubishi Corporation - my former boss almost choked when I bought a Range Rover..... #But why did you not buy a brand new Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero 3.5 V6" he said - because I could get a V8 with more umpfh and style...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I have a 96 with 266000 on the clock....I wouldnt hesitate for a minute to use it for long distance travel which I do.

Any vehicle can break down regardless of brand.

Abit concerned though for the Pajero as you mentioned you had a over heat in the desert, problems like this can pop its ugly head up any time...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys. Im back after week long drive. Salalah is beautiful and will def go in season time next year. Drove 4300 km (round) in Range rover and it was the best experience of long drive i had. Coming back even tested its limit at constant 160 for hrs and not switching off for 14 hrs still survived and got me home safely.

·
Registered
701 Posts
They are great cars. I've always been hesitant to take mine on a road trip until recently. LR hosted and event in McCall and I couldn't resist. Loaded her up and went. It was a gorgeous drive up there and I beat the living piss out of the RR the next couple of days. To my surpsied, she took it very well. If it were any of my other cars, they would probably have some awkward axle grind or clunking noise at the end of the trip, but not the RR `) .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts