RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So many of us purchased pre-owned Range Rovers. I am thinking I am going to buy a 2016 CPO for my wife and while I hate to give up my current generation, it is time. These are such special vehicles and I am wondering where you guys bought yours so I can figure out where to list mine (including was this site successful)?

I have a 2008 HSE with a supercharged trim package (brake lights, grille, side vents). I invested a ton of money into it. It has the power deployable side steps, 2018/2019 brake pads & rotors, new spark plugs, 120k service, new oil, new filters, new brake lines and fluid (that was $2k but important), headrest TV's (with remote and wireless headphones and 6 disc DVD changer), heated and cooled seats front seats (and of course heater steering wheel and rear seats), luxury package, 2018 battery, one new air suspension component, new tailgate and hood struts, alignment performed last month, etc. The only thing I may keep are the wheels/tires and exchange them for the 2016 trade I have my eyes on.

The car is tight and I am looking for $10,500-$13k but how do you do a private transaction without taking the risk of fraudulent checks? This car is in Pittsburgh but who knows where the buyer may originate? Can you do wire transfers?

2008 Range Rover Exterior.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can always ask for the money to be wire transferred to you. Check with your bank on how to receive it. You could ask for a bank issued money order or cashier's check, from a reputable bank only. Or you could demand cash. I would not take a check, ever! Unless they are willing for you to wait until the check clears to give them the car and transfer title. DON'T let them drive away in it without full payment. MAKE SURE you don't imply any warranty of any kind. They way you've talked about it in your post is great. Get yourself a good sales contract and bill of sale for your state from the internet. As for where? I'm afraid I can't help you there, sadly. I got mine from a dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can always ask for the money to be wire transferred to you. Check with your bank on how to receive it. You could ask for a bank issued money order or cashier's check, from a reputable bank only. Or you could demand cash. I would not take a check, ever! Unless they are willing for you to wait until the check clears to give them the car and transfer title. DON'T let them drive away in it without full payment. MAKE SURE you don't imply any warranty of any kind. They way you've talked about it in your post is great. Get yourself a good sales contract and bill of sale for your state from the internet. As for where? I'm afraid I can't help you there, sadly. I got mine from a dealer.
Thank you so much! This is really great advice! I can't believe some LR dealers are moving these higher mileage cars but I know there is such a huge following

·
Registered
213 Posts
For as to where, I'd try Cars.com, Autotrader and Craigslist. You can get an ad on those for nearly free (CL charges $5 for 30 days). eBay is an option, too -- they charge $25 for a basic ad that runs for 7 days.
Expect a fair amount of time wasters and scammers, but use common sense when communicating with people, these are very easy to spot. Make sure people include their phone number that you can CALL back on, lots of scams are using emails/texts only.
Like Gwen said, accept wire transfer, cashier's check or cash only and make a good simple bill of sale, but make sure your car can pass inspection -- otherwise, a buyer can return the car back even with bill of sale stating "as-is/where-is", at least here in MA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be aware that a common scam right now is people pretending to be interested in a used vehicle for sale. They'll do all the normal stuff - ask for more pictures, negotiate price, schedule a meeting, etc. Then they'll just offer to buy it. They'll ask for your account number to wire the funds or they'll send you a check (might even be a "cashier's" check but it's no good) for more than the purchase price and ask you to wire or MoneyGram/Western Union the difference back to them. Giving your account number out is not a good idea, and sending someone money when the check hasn't actually "cleared" is bad, too. I've purchased many vehicle private party, and if the buyer and seller can meet in-person, at a bank or the BMV to do everything in one visit, then that's best. If you're dealing with someone out of town, then I'd contact a local dealership OR an attorney who can escrow the deal for you both. Both will charge a small fee, but it's well worth it. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be aware that a common scam right now is people pretending to be interested in a used vehicle for sale. They'll do all the normal stuff - ask for more pictures, negotiate price, schedule a meeting, etc. Then they'll just offer to buy it. They'll ask for your account number to wire the funds or they'll send you a check (might even be a "cashier's" check but it's no good) for more than the purchase price and ask you to wire or MoneyGram/Western Union the difference back to them. Giving your account number out is not a good idea, and sending someone money when the check hasn't actually "cleared" is bad, too. I've purchased many vehicle private party, and if the buyer and seller can meet in-person, at a bank or the BMV to do everything in one visit, then that's best. If you're dealing with someone out of town, then I'd contact a local dealership OR an attorney who can escrow the deal for you both. Both will charge a small fee, but it's well worth it. Hope that helps!
This really does help! I guess I should never be surprised by anyone these days. Kind of scary in a way because you truly don't know who you are dealing with. Thanks for the help and good advice!!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
The seller I bought my RR from used a service called Tred.com. At first I thought it would add a hassle step in the process but it ended up ok. Its basically an online dealer. The buyer has to register with their site and send a scanned driver's license before a test drive. I didn't put much stock in the Pep Boys inspection but they do provide a Carfax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts