RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Thanks for reading. I'm a newbie and I have an 87 Classic (NAS). Can anyone share where I can find a quality ignition rotor? I have purchased 4 so far, and all have failed within 3 - 5 weeks of installing them. Each time I was suddenly stranded, I was able to get going by re-installing the old (and weathered) rotor that was in the Rover when I purchased it. I am afraid that at some point, the old rotor will itself fail. Any ideas? I have tried a well-known Stateside supplier, buying both the "aftermarket" and "OEM Lucas packaged" rotors they sell.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Sking

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
have you tried rovers north?, another option is to retrofit to later style distributor less ignition (dis) which uses coil banks. triggerwheels.com
is more affordable and comprehensive kit than others. I have purchased said kit for my 95 just have not had the time to install, is it in plan tho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought mine from this chap http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Had exactly the same problem as you, cut out suddenly and wouldn’t restart - right in the middle of the Mersey Tunnel during Friday night rush hour. Managed to bring Liverpool city centre to a standstill :shock:

Had spark to the dizzy but not the plugs so changed the rotor arm and she fired up straight away and been fine since. Always carry a spare though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got mine at auto zone
Wow! I had no clue they sold them. I will give one a try (for $12). How many miles have you been able to put on it? As I've mentioned at the top of the thread, I've gone through 4 aftermarket and "so-called" OEM Lucas-packaged. Each time I was suddenly stranded (traffic turn lanes, while in the left lane of the highway, on a beach trail, etc..)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought mine from this chap http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Had exactly the same problem as you, cut out suddenly and wouldn’t restart - right in the middle of the Mersey Tunnel during Friday night rush hour. Managed to bring Liverpool city centre to a standstill :shock:

Had spark to the dizzy but not the plugs so changed the rotor arm and she fired up straight away and been fine since. Always carry a spare though.
Thank you for your reply. No, it's not a good feeling being that guy in the Rover who is causing the tie up. I have a spare now in the cubby, but I would rather not have the old Lucas one installed, since it is the one that has not failed on me (knocking on wood).. Thank you again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you tried rovers north?, another option is to retrofit to later style distributor less ignition (dis) which uses coil banks. triggerwheels.com
is more affordable and comprehensive kit than others. I have purchased said kit for my 95 just have not had the time to install, is it in plan tho.

Haven't tried Rovers North yet, but I will give them a try.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You should expect it to last a year or so
To be realistic
But the price is right
My motor is a 3.9

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I can get 1 year out of a rotor, I'd be extremely happy! Will definitely give AZ a try. Though it's just insane to me, that every one of the rotors I've purchased has failed within weeks of installing them. I've replaced the cap, wires and plugs when I initially replaced the rotor (arm) the first time - blue Lucas cap and all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That had to be embarrassing / frustrating / etc... Thanks for sharing your experience, BigJ!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts