RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rig has 203k miles on it and yesterday I decided to seafoam it, change the oil and change the differential fluid. Well when I pulled the drain plug on the front diff here is what I found

I got as much out as I could and ran some clean fluid through the diff to try and flush the crap out. Then I pull the plug back in and filled it up. I am guessing this means I need a new front diff. I have seen them on ebay but not sure I trust them to not have this issue already and I have seen new ones for $1200 on AB, anywhere else I should look?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Have you tried running it and then draining again?
That looks like it has not been changed in forever, so I wouldn't stress about it just yet.
Run it for a thousand miles or so, then drain and see how the plug looks at that time.

Martin

·
Registered
92 Posts
^^ Thats what I would do too. These trucks don't seem to usually have issues with the diffs, so just refill and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine (rear) looked exactly the same when I first bought it at 96k. Assume it was never changed
A couple of changes and 5k later no issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. After I saw that I pumped some fluid through it trying to "flush" it. Then I refilled it. I had planned to check it again in a couple hundred miles, I figured the diff was done for though.
I put in some 80w-90 I had laying around from a previous project, should I change it to something else? I have only put about 10 miles on it since the change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts