RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately this is only the second time in almost three years.. She just died. Pleanty of power to everything, acts like dirty battery terminals but they are spotless and shiney. I'll be checking grounds tomorrow but have a feeling that a new fuse box will be on order Monday... just a gut feeling.

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
Re: Where no Range ROver should ever have to go

sorry to hear that mate!

martin

·
Registered
701 Posts

Bit of a bad day, sorry bud... Not too long ago my boss's rover was flat bedded to our office, where it has been ever since :( . The rover almost looks like it is facing a different direction in each picture.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Apparently the issue is a toasted fuse box. Although the it appears to be perfectly fine I have suspected it for various issues for quite sometime. Sure enough, once I pulled the board out of the fuse box I found lots of burning, corrosion and a warped power bars. Atlantic British here I come!

·
Registered
494 Posts

happens to the best of us. i was in that boat six months ago when my starter went. it was a sad sight. :cry:
the trip to the shop permitted me to slip a new optima past the goalie (wife) while they were working on it though. :dance:

·
Registered
217 Posts

Went through that last year with the wife's car, give's ya a kinda sick feelin in the pit of your stomach when your head finally tell's you to call a tow truck, and there's no goin around it. Sorry to here what kind of day you had but at least you found the problem. That's gotta feel kinda good. When these thing's happen to me I like to think ahead to the first test run when you've got everything put right again. Good luck, tilt a few back and try to forget today is my advice. Big-T. :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :( :( :cry:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ah heck, I'm not worked up or upset. I haven't even lost my smile through this yet. Fecal matter exists in the universe. When you drive tempermental rigs like our you step in it or it hits the fan. Fortunately save for a failed alternator taking out the battery a few months ago I have been trouble free for well over two years. :thumb: Hey, I'll tilt a few back anyway. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts

Is it just me or do P38's still look majestic even on the back of a flatbed :think:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ka177ran said:
Is it just me or do P38's still look majestic even on the back of a flatbed :think:
I'd have to agree on the whole. However those white ones just look like the milk man gave up in midst of deliveries. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
217 Posts

Hey, Big-T here, I was lookin at your rig again cause it's identical to mine but your tires look fatter than mine. What size are they?, they look awesome and I've started the fund for the next set down the road. Have you got any rubbin problems when you turn tight or did you just put them on the stock wheels? :thumb:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

factory 255/55 18. They are Nitto Terra Grapplers and I love them.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,404 Posts

rrtoadhall said:
Ka177ran said:
I'd have to agree on the whole. However those white ones just look like the milk man gave up in midst of deliveries. :mrgreen:
Watch it, mate! :evil:

:D

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts

:naughty: Oi Toady - don't hate the player, hate the game.

You didn't say anything to Ron that would have caused him to voodoo jinx your fusebox :think:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

:lol: I actually forgot that Ron's was white as well. I was giving a jab from across the pond at YOUR milk wagon. :mrgreen:

I still have a day of poking about under the hood and under the rig to check cables etc. I am only 60% sure it is the fuse box. Everything else checks out so far. I jsut have a gnawing feeling that I am overlooking something VERY simple. Grounds are spotless and tight, relays check out OK. All of the cables are clean and corrosion free at each end, save for the starter end, I haven't checked that yet. However a fouled cable at the starter would not account for the sudden ignition failure. No error codes logged on the ECU. ECU and BeCM have not lost synch. The old girl just won't quite turn over even though the starter very firmly engauges. It all just acts like a dirty battery terminal... :evil:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

paul.adshead said:
Battery age? Battery voltage?
Apologies Paul, I should have posted the obvious first. Battery and Alternator are only a few months old as both were replaced just prior to the RRnet gathering road trip. Battery has 12.2v after sitting stationary for 48 hours and numerous electrical tests. I have also recleaned the cables at the alternator and made sure they were nice and snug.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts

rrtoadhall said:
:lol: I actually forgot that Ron's was white as well. I was giving a jab from across the pond at YOUR milk wagon. :mrgreen:
:shock: Blimey, do your milk wagons look that good :lol:

Are there many white ones over there?

I had a starting problem where I had to have it flatbedded home about a year ago - Turned out to be a bad connection on the starter.

Have you tried Dr Leo's fusebox test - IIRC leave the ignition on for 20 mins and then crank it?

·
Registered
27 Posts

It is your starter!! Mine went out the day I was to leave for Colorado. All power looked good connections good, voltage on the starter good. Engine would barely turn over. Ordered new starter and replaced and nothing not even the clicking of the solenoid, only from the ecu. More checking and ordered anther starter installed and all worked. Hate it when the new part is also bad. So test you started BEFORE installing.
John

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

monjoh said:
It is your starter!! Mine went out the day I was to leave for Colorado. All power looked good connections good, voltage on the starter good. Engine would barely turn over. Ordered new starter and replaced and nothing not even the clicking of the solenoid, only from the ecu. More checking and ordered anther starter installed and all worked. Hate it when the new part is also bad. So test you started BEFORE installing.
John
I would agree with that sage advice except that the starter firmly engauges, it just isn't getting enough juice to turn much. Also, a failed starter would not cause an immediate ignition shut down while driving... would it? :think:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts