Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Range Rover Sport, HSE, P360
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I appreciate the wealth of information here. I have been doing some searching for photos of how people have incorporated trailer brake controllers in the event that they use their RRS for a tow vehicle.

Details: In speaking with Land Rover, a Curt model CUR51140 with harness CUR51516 is the only Land Rover installed model they have for the RRS. They will consider others, but that's what they are telling me as of now. I want to have them install it so I have them to go back to in the event of an issue. I also want a brake controller that I can reach for in a jam as trailer sway is a consideration with the trailer I will be pulling (i.e. phone app versions will not work for me). This model has a bracket which looks to require mounting somewhere, typically low on the dash by your knee.

Problem is that I am reluctant to install a clunky looking piece of hardware to an otherwise beautiful streamlined interior. I am looking for somewhere to install it where it's accessible, but unnoticeable, and where I can remove it after use, bracket and all, without it leaving visible screw holes.

Can others who have installed brake controls share a bit about what you considered and where you placed them?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
142 Posts
I just installed a Prodigy (can't remember model#) this past weekend. I used the Ford harness as described on a sticky on this forum and had to move the wires on the harness vehicle connector. Easy. I installed the controller on the plastic cover that's just above the driver's feet. It's visible from the seat and with just a slight reach I can get to it. Only 2 small holes were drilled for the mount. We'll see how this works it could go in other locations.
Somewhere over the next few weeks I'll be installing the OEM hitch frame - just need to get time to remove the rear bumper and do the install.

·
Registered
2021 Range Rover Sport, HSE, P360
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just installed a Prodigy (can't remember model#) this past weekend. I used the Ford harness as described on a sticky on this forum and had to move the wires on the harness vehicle connector. Easy. I installed the controller on the plastic cover that's just above the driver's feet. It's visible from the seat and with just a slight reach I can get to it. Only 2 small holes were drilled for the mount. We'll see how this works it could go in other locations.
Somewhere over the next few weeks I'll be installing the OEM hitch frame - just need to get time to remove the rear bumper and do the install.
Thanks for sharing. I ended up going with a Curt model proposed by Land Rover. I was worried about touching the ivory elements of the interior, but realized the lower section of the dash is black anyway so the black controller isn't very obvious. That, and we used a strong velcro strip between the dash and the controller bracket, so I can remove it when not in use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts