RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the dreaded "Air Suspension Inactive" warning. I am still overseas but due to come home very soon. The wife reports that the car is at "normal" height (I take this to mean that no corners have collapsed) but she isn't very mindful of these things. I'm trying to line up my repair plan in advance of my return. If no corners have collapsed is it reasonable to assume the fault lies somwhere other than an air spring? I will get the fault codes read before any decisions are made of course but here are my other questions:
1. Where can you buy just the front strut (shock) without the air bladder. I ask this because Arnott sells their 'new and improved' replaceable bladder but that seems foolish to spend $400 per corner only to slap them on a well-used shock. I know the OEM stuff is $1,100+ per corner and only available as a unit.

2. What is with the Arnott rebuilt struts? I can see that they have a new rubber bladder but is the shock itself rebulit? If not, that also seems a waste to spend $330 per corner for some worn out hardware.

Sorry for all the questions and I would just call Arnott myself but telephone access here is limited and expensive.

BTW, I did search and found no firsthand accounts of anyone that actually used rebuilt Arnott struts on a MkIII.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Where can I buy new front struts apart from the air spring?

It's only for the front you need the whole front struts including damper. for the rear you change only the "rubber" strut.. So rear strut is cheaper to change, but I think there is rarely this causing air suspension errors, as I have read and heard in most circumstances it's the front air strut's leaking.

there can be a leak, but the car will drive in almost normal height. but if you try to raise it to offroad mode you can't or you will here the air flowing if there's a leak.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

So there is no source for the OEM strut without the air shock?

Then WTF does Arnott sell replacement air springs for? If we can never change out the shock it doesn't do us much good to be able to replace only the spring, does it?

·
Registered
96 Posts

I would be very greatful if a forum member with "technical insight" could write a mail to Arnott and ask the "right questions" about the differences between their "Front spring assembly" and "Remanufactured air strut" and post the answer here.

If (when...) I get the air suspension error message it would be nice to be prepared. Under what circumstances should I replace the whole strut and when should I replace only the upper part?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I already know the differences between the two. The improved air spring is a 'beefed up' take on the OEM spring. The crucial difference being that you can change this out WITHOUT replacing the entire strut assembly. The OEM piece has no ability to be changed by itself. You would destroy it in the attempt. The remanufactured strut assembly is exactly what it sounds like. Old shocks with failed springs are sent to Arnott and (hopefully in the case of the shock) rebuilt and then resold for 1/4 the price of new. The reman assembly does NOT use their improved air spring.

My question still remains: what is the purpose of selling me a spring without the strut if I have no way to ever source the strut? I suppose they could assume that one would have them rebuilt at the time of the repair. I dn't really know of any shops that specialize in rebuilding OEM shocks. :think:

·
Registered
96 Posts

Have you confirmed that they don't replace any pieces on the lower part of the strut, or are you only guessing?

My point is that if they don't do anything with the lower part, to go for the remanufactured unit makes no sense. All the work lies and taking the unit off and back on the car. Replacing the upper part with a higher quality item and keep your old lower part is then only one nut extra.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I don't know precisely what they do to the struts. I would call myself but I am in Iraq at the present time and it cost me about $0.20 a minute to talk.

Anyone volunteer to call them and find out what the deal is?

·
Registered
300 Posts

I had the exact same message one time, after a trip up the the mountains. Came home and the shop diagnosed it as a confused sensor. They updated the system and some other BS and charged me $300. None of my corners had collapsed and I was also stuck in normal mode. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I am thinking that is probably the case here. Wife came home from a 4-day trip and the car is still sitting level at what she is calling "normal" height. It is going off to the shop today to find out the cause. Nice to know that Arnott offers a less expensive solution should I get really bad news.

·
Registered
293 Posts

Koni struts used to sell a strut for the MKIII, AtBrit offered it under thier "upgraded" coil conversion kit, however they no longer offer this setup and on the Koni website they dont offer any parts for the MKIII.

Someone can try calling them, but my guess would be that this strut wasnt set up to receive an airbag attached to it.

As far as Arnott goes, the reason they are probably offering just the upgraded bag is because they assume you have already purchased thier upgraded strut/bag which can be re-sleeved with a new bag... and if you havent... thats what they want you to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts

why do you think it are the struds

think compressor

that was the problem i had when the message came up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Finally arrived stateside after a grand time in the desert :dance:

My independent mechanic interrogated the system and it spit out a code that (roughly translated) said: "Too much power to front axle". He was mystified as he has never seen this particular code before. After some checking and cross talk with other Rover techs, he learned that when there is an accumulation of water in the system it will sometimes cause this code and the air suspension will deactivate. Only a clearing of the code will bring it back. I fail to see how moisture accumulation in the EAS would cause the vehicle to think that too much power was going to the front axle. He cleared the codes and all is normal. Replacing the drier would be a likely next step if the problem persists. For now we are going to treat it as an anomaly and just try driving the car as normal. Just wanted to post a follow-up to this issue so that if someone experiences a similar problem they have a possible solution. Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts