RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched this forum and the net and get mixed info. When are we getting the new Full Sized Range Rover. Not the Sport, or concepts, but the Real Deal???

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that is one source, a magazine. Anybody hear anything from somebody that works for Land Rover? I'm not refuting the info, just want to know if anybody has anything else. What happened to the 7 yr run for Range Rovers? This one is going for 10 yrs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it aint broke then don't fix it! I guess they would want to milk the present model for all they can then unleash something new when the credit crunch is over.

I kind of like my 03 and I'm enjoying the prestige of owning a relatively current shaped motor too! :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have had mine since December 2002, and I bought it knowing the previous model ran for 7 yrs. I am ready for a new style Range Rover. Not a concept, or a replacement of the RRS, but the New Style, Full Size Range Rover. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first saw the New Range Rover that December and had to have one immediately!!!!!!! I want some answers and nobody has them. I will keep searching

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
vonmosh said:
Well I have had mine since December 2002, and I bought it knowing the previous model ran for 7 yrs.
The "Classic" ran for 24/25 years with a few face lifts and addition of the four door model. Seven years is nothing considering that the marque was just purchased and the company is in transition.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes, and the P38 was during a transition as well, which was from 1995-2002 (7 years).

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Much as I love it, the P38 was not unproblematic. 7 years is too short for any successful model to run. As rrt says, 24 years for the rrc, a similar length of time for the 911, Jeep CJ, MB SL (107 body), etc. If you want guaranteed short model runs buy asian.

·
Registered
293 Posts
the P38 was behind the 8ball everytime they made a chance... when it comes to chronic problems on vehicles manufactures arent able to completely eliminate design flaws for 3 years. (this was quoted from Jaguar just last year when they were voted most reliable)

so think about it, they came up with the P38 in 95, then like 3 years later give or take a few months they changed the top half of the motor (not to major, but still a change) then 3 years after that they changed it again to the 4.4 BMW motor, not even 3 years later they did whatever they did in late 05'...

my point is, people want changes but, you wont truly get REAL reliability until you stick with something for a decent amount of time probably about 10 years

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
gw2doc said:
the P38 was behind the 8ball everytime they made a chance... when it comes to chronic problems on vehicles manufactures arent able to completely eliminate design flaws for 3 years. (this was quoted from Jaguar just last year when they were voted most reliable)

so think about it, they came up with the P38 in 95, then like 3 years later give or take a few months they changed the top half of the motor (not to major, but still a change) then 3 years after that they changed it again to the 4.4 BMW motor, not even 3 years later they did whatever they did in late 05'...

my point is, people want changes but, you wont truly get REAL reliability until you stick with something for a decent amount of time probably about 10 years
What if the car was essentially the same but the Body styling was significantly changed so it was an OBVIOUS new model. That can't harm reliability can it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
no, that wont hurt reliability but when has land rover ever changed just the body styling...?

·
Registered
205 Posts
i dont remember where i got this from, but i have always been under the impression that the body style was going to change in 2012

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses, and it makes a little more sense now. I have always thought the current body style would look great for at least 25 years. Land Rover got it right with this design there is no doubt about that. I guess I got caught up in the wanting bigger, better, newer craze of the 21st Century. I just wanted to throw it out there and see if anybody had a definitive answer. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think it could be improved with a similar but new body design with neat touches like body panels that meet closely/correctly, non-rusting wheel hubs, Non-rusting Stainless steal exhausts, electrical systems that are bulletproof, limousine/normal/sport suspension settings/button, zero torsional vibration, lighter/better MPG, tailpipes for the 21st century, Bluetooth Ipod/Blackberry Music streaming and even/maybe a 7-seat option (but maybe not - we don't want school run mothers driving them :lol: ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Knock on wood, I am happy with the RR the way it is. There have been rumours for a while that a complete new body will be coming somewhere between 2013-2015 model years with a view to making the car more environmentally friendly. Some rumours have been hinting that Land Rover may alter the vehicle from being a "proper" four wheel drive. I am not sure that would happen and if it did, it may be slightly detrimental to the brand.

If the pictures from AutoBild are to be believed (a boxier shape that looks like it was drawn by a ten year old) and 2010 model remains rock solid, I will probably look to pick one up in 3 to 4 years time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts