RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Range came with 18" wheels (255/55/18) but I would like to put on 16" wheels and tires. Is this possible and are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing so? Do I need to make any adjustments or should it be pretty simple?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
The ride is much better with the 16" wheels and tires..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. Not sure if I want to go to 16" or 19" now. 19" look better IMO but putting on 19" seems difficult as I have read in previous posts. Would tire shops put them on for me, or would they refuse because they are not "suppose to" go on a P38?

·
Registered
640 Posts
In the 8+ years I have owned my Truck I have had 16" 18" 19" and 20" Rims and have not found any real difference in the ride. In addition I have never knocked a Wheel Bearing out, had any Vibration or the dreaded "Death Wobble", Tyres fouling the Bodywork or EAS problems or any other problem for that matter. However I must add they have all been genuine L/R Rims.

I guess because I have not had any problems there must be something wrong with my truck. `)

Cheers

·
Registered
211 Posts
I swapped out the 5 spoke 16" rims off my 99 RR with some 6 spoke 19" Gen III rims from a 2004. Love the look and found no difference in ride quality. Followed the guide here on the board and it took longer to find/get out the tools than it did to do the job.

If you watch your local paper, auto news, craigslist etc. there are lots of good deals out there on rim/tire sets. I paid $300 for mine and still have my old set I can throw a set of winter tires on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Of course - why?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Early P38A's like mine came with 16" rims. I have those fitted with off-road tyres and a set of 18" Range Rover Sport rims for highway use.

I prefer the 16" for ride comfort.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ron,

What size tires did you put on the 16's? Stock size or other?

Chris

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
If you go to my web site and look at my Rangi on the front page, I have those wheel and tires for sale. I just replaced my wheels and tires. The tires I have on those wheels are only like a year old or so..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Any tire with more sidewall is going to give a softer ride than a lower profile tire. Doesn't matter the rig, it is just basic physics ;)
More sidewall = more flex from the tire. Smaller sidewall = less flex, and thus a slightly harsher ride.
I have noticed it on big rigs and cars alike...

Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have issue doing it myself as I live downtown and have no garage. Is it just as simple as changing a flat tire?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, but here I've got a nice floor jack, a compressor and an impact gun - for you it might be worth the $20-30 to have a tire shop swap them out for you.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
TheBoss said:
Yes, but here I've got a nice floor jack, a compressor and an impact gun - for you it might be worth the $20-30 to have a tire shop swap them out for you.
Exactly why you should do it yourself and not let some monkey gorilla-wrench them on.

·
Registered
401 Posts
... be carefull where you take it. I had a nail in one tire and the shop I took it to (never again) didn't have the right sized socket (didn't tell me) and stripped two of the wheel bolts. $20 a piece.

Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts