RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before when I would be driving below 30mph I could hear a squeaking sound with my windows down coming from one of my wheels and now it sounds like a bag or something is in one of my wheels and I can hear it with the windows up. I checked and saw nothing does anyone know what this could be? It’s a 2000 4.0

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Most likely a universal joint on one of the propshafts. Take the propshaft off, or at least disconnect one end, and check before it lets go and smashes through the side of the gearbox.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
If it clearly is coming from a wheel and not from under the truck it could also be a bad wheel bearing. When you are driving if you shift the weight of the truck by turning from side to side you will hear the sound change as the force on that bearing changes.

The sound changes depending on how far gone they are.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Jeez folks, scare the crud out of the guy! :lol:

Matt check the small stuff first make sure all your lug nuts are properly torqued to 80lbs. Check your lug nut caps for being loose. If you find one or two on a wheel that are distorted and clacking around they can sound like long slow finger nails on a chalkbord, castanets, or or someone playing with plastic grocer's bag.

UJoints are something easy to inspect. If you have not greased them at each oil change they may be dried out. Now you usually feel a dry UJoint vibrating, as well as hearing a sqeak or squeal. since you are in tune with odd sounds your UJoints are not likely even close catastrophic failure point of launching upward, coming through the floor or Ripping your transfer case apart. Crawl under, give them a twist and see if they have excessive play or squeak. NAPA precision 344 has been the UJoint for every NAS LR product through end of P38s and DiscoIIs. They are half the price of OEM, built heavier and come with extended nipples for easier service.

Another possibility is corroded or loose brake mud shield rubbing.

Wheel bearings are an item that you would feel in the steering wheel as a growl vibration.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check the dust shield on the problem wheel, make sure it's not bent and not rubbing against the tire or the rim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a tire balance weight come loose and get stuck between the dust shield and wheel.
If the dust shield is rubbing on the wheel you'll see the wear marks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts