RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm a Colorado native who just moved back home, looking to purchase a 2017 HSE Dynamic in the next month or so. I am a fine art/landscape photographer and definitely plan to use this thing in the mountains and off-road year-round. I was looking over threads discussing wheel and tire combos and they were all pretty old. Would love to hear your experiences with winter/snow performance for the 21" Style 507 versus the 22" Style 504 on 2014 and newer Sports. I am leaning heavily toward the 507 for year-round use, but I just love the look of the 22s and a small part of me hopes that someone can convince me that they'll be just fine through the winter with the right rubber.

I also know next to nothing about what tires are available, would love any insight or recommendations you might have.

Thanks so much!
Alex

·
Registered
153 Posts
My experience from Chicago having used the base summer or all season standard 20, 21, and 22" tires is that if you do not have true winter tires and there is snow on the ground you have 4 frozen hockey pucks connected to your car. The car is heavy so that helps with normal driving, but any quick acceleration, stopping or turns and you will experience slipping and slidding. I have 21' winter tires that I swap on and it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have 21's with just the all-season Conti's and did fine in snow this winter in Kansas City. However in your situation with the mountains etc. I would swap on dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Winter tire selection when you go from 21" to 22" goes from bad to worse.

If you must stick with 21" i highly recommend Nokian R2s (275/40/21) . https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/ . I have a 20" set of these on my BMW.
If you're going with 22" The Pirelli Scorpions are one of your only options and they are garbage. Pirelli does not make a serious winter tire for the mountains.

Your options in 20" are very good, the Michelin X-ICE XI2 is available in 275/55/20 and most non Scandinavians consider this to be the best SUV winter tire on the market. Personally I rock this setup in the winter and sport a 305/40/22 setup on 22x10.5" for the summer. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+X-Ice+Xi2

Edit: Just saw the latest blizzak SUV tire is now available in a 22" 285/40/22. This will fit, and i would expect the performance to be good.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V2&sidewall=Blackwall

Happy Trails

·
Registered
212 Posts
I run Nokian hakka R2 SUV tires in 265/50/20 on a dedicated set of OEM 20x8.5" wheels with TPMS. Just like mentioned, the Pirelli scorpion ice and snows are awful. For me it was a no brainer to go down to 20s for winter.

From experience I really dislike the Xice tires. Blizzaks are far better, but are no hakkas.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
153 Posts
I 2nd this Nokian R or WRs hands down! Better to be safe than sorry. Do the tire & wheel swap game you'll be happier in those few white knuckled times

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run Nokian hakka R2 SUV tires in 265/50/20 on a dedicated set of OEM 20x8.5" wheels with TPMS. Just like mentioned, the Pirelli scorpion ice and snows are awful. For me it was a no brainer to go down to 20s for winter.

From experience I really dislike the Xice tires. Blizzaks are far better, but are no hakkas.

Was thinking of picking up some OEM 20x8.5" wheels and 255/55/20 winter tires for my 2016 V8 SC Dynamic but am wondering if there's an advantage to 265/50/20 tires instead? Seems like the hakkas are the favorite winter treads around here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just picked up a new RRS. I have 22" wheels with their stock tires.

I was under the impression it would still be super in the snow.

I am guessing that based on this thread I am wrong?

·
Registered
161 Posts

Would help with the responses if you stated what the stock tires are - they vary by market and also over time. But assuming they are the usual all seasons supplied to northern markets, no, the car will not be super in the snow - it will usually "get by" with lots of slipping and longer braking distances if its icy. And if the stock tires are summer tires, the car will actually be dangerous in snow. Lots of threads in this forum on snow tires... do a few searches and happy reading!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Was thinking of picking up some OEM 20x8.5" wheels and 255/55/20 winter tires for my 2016 V8 SC Dynamic but am wondering if there's an advantage to 265/50/20 tires instead? Seems like the hakkas are the favorite winter treads around here.
Not sure if there's an advantage. I just read the Owner's Handbook under winter tires, and for hakkas it recommends 265/50/20 instead of the normal 20" OEM size of 255/55/20. Not sure why. For all other brands of winter tires listed it does indeed suggest 255/55/20.

For me, I feel like a little extra width will help save my rims. But that's just my opinion. I went with a nice set of Gloss Black wheels for winter, so I want to keep them relatively unscathed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks SirMatt. Interesting point about the different winter tire size recommendations in the Owner's Handbook. Either tire will change the diameter from stock 275/45/21 by only 1% so probably no significant difference in performance or safety between the two.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 on the Nokian - personal experience with them in the mountains and they are the only tire I'll put on my vehicle in winter. I live in Colorado Springs and travel regularly to Summit County, Wolf Creek, and points West in the winter, and you definitely want winter tires if you'll be doing the same here, no matter what you drive or how good the AWD system is. All four wheels will get you going, but all-seasons will not help you stop or turn as well as dedicated winter tires will. If you drive conscientiously, they'll keep you out of the ditch when others may have trouble avoiding it.

Winter tire compounds stay flexible at temps below freezing, and the tread desgn is actually designed to pack dry snow into the sipes - snow-to-snow contact actually helps traction. In slush, the sipes suck up and squeegee water away from the tire-road interface. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV's also incorporate bits of fiberglass or something similar all the way through the tread block, kind of like microspikes. And, they are low rolling resistance, which is some kind of Finnish elf magic in a snow tire.

You can break them loose, but they will hook up again as soon as you let off the gas. They've saved my insurance deductible more than once.

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Would help with the responses if you stated what the stock tires are - they vary by market and also over time. But assuming they are the usual all seasons supplied to northern markets, no, the car will not be super in the snow - it will usually "get by" with lots of slipping and longer braking distances if its icy. And if the stock tires are summer tires, the car will actually be dangerous in snow. Lots of threads in this forum on snow tires... do a few searches and happy reading!"

well thats fair. Although, I had figured that there were not a variety of stock tires. Mine are Continental Cross Contact LX Sport Tire.

And fwiw, I had done a bunch of research on the line via some google thing and got a lot of mixed reviews. Most are saying it was fine for the vast majority of winter snowy driving.

But based on the the thread, it seemed appropriate to ask.

Cheers!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm a Colorado native who just moved back home, looking to purchase a 2017 HSE Dynamic in the next month or so. I am a fine art/landscape photographer and definitely plan to use this thing in the mountains and off-road year-round. I was looking over threads discussing wheel and tire combos and they were all pretty old. Would love to hear your experiences with winter/snow performance for the 21" Style 507 versus the 22" Style 504 on 2014 and newer Sports. I am leaning heavily toward the 507 for year-round use, but I just love the look of the 22s and a small part of me hopes that someone can convince me that they'll be just fine through the winter with the right rubber.

I also know next to nothing about what tires are available, would love any insight or recommendations you might have.

Thanks so much!
Alex
Alex,

Get a set of dedicated snow tires. Nobody with any sense would try to convince you that 21 or 22 inch wheels would be fine in any kind of bad weather. You'll always have that "one guy" who drove around the block with a dusting of snow who will tell you how awesome his 22s were, but seriously....get a set of 20" OEM wheels from eBay ($300-$500 per wheel) and slap a set of Nokians or Blizzaks on them.

The biggest issue that you are going to have with the OEM RRS setups is braking. Even the 20" tires that came on my are labeled M+S but absolutely suck in snow. The AWD system will help you get traction, but once you get moving stopping is another ballgame. Without dedicated snow tires going down hills with any kind of snow is going to be very risky.

·
Registered
283 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how LR Salespeople miss an opportunity to take better car of their customers AND get an upsell. In short, any tires that come off the lot will be dreadful in winter, mainly, because they are absolutely SUPERB in summer conditions. Factory tires are designed to maximize comfort, handling and minimize road noise, they are excellent at that. In any real winter conditions you're putting yourself, passengers and vehicle in danger. Many people will claim the tires did great in mild winter conditions with extra gentle/cautious driving, but those are imaginary, ideal conditions. Ultimately you need to be able to react to the other people around you and make emergency maneuvers in those conditions. Only snow tires will give you a fighting chance.... Can't count how many times mine have saved me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll soon be getting winter tires for my 2017 RRS. Some in this thread have suggested to also get a dedicated set of wheels, and I'm seriously considering doing that. However, the only scenario I can think of where a dedicated set of wheels may be a good idea is if you enjoy switching the tires yourself twice a year, a task that I personally would not look forward to. I would rather have the tire shop do that for me. And if I were to use the tire shop, I imagine it would be a pain to transport the combined tires/wheels due to the weight of the things and the smallish boot of the RRS. So, I really have not figured out a compelling reason to get dedicated wheels. Somebody out there might be able to enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For most of us it's to go with a smaller size wheel which makes available many more, and cheaper, winter tire options. Winter tires in 22" are few, and pricey. If your stock wheels are already the 20s, and you plan to pay someone to swap your winters twice yearly regardless, you're right not a huge advantage having dedicated wheels. It will be a little more expensive every spring/fall, but not a lot. There is a little extra wear and tear, but mostly cosmetic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just ordered a set of Nokian Hakka R2 SUV tires in 255/55 R20 for my RR Sport and will replace the OEM Pirelli A/S Scorpion 20" tires next week. Will be my 1st winter season with the Range Rover Sport and also in Nebraska and hope these do me well and get me through the white stuff. Plan to also upgrade to 22" wheels and tires in the Spring when it warms up. Assume Pirelli Scorpions will be the normal fare at that time too for either A/S or summer performance at that size.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll soon be getting winter tires for my 2017 RRS. Some in this thread have suggested to also get a dedicated set of wheels, and I'm seriously considering doing that. However, the only scenario I can think of where a dedicated set of wheels may be a good idea is if you enjoy switching the tires yourself twice a year, a task that I personally would not look forward to. I would rather have the tire shop do that for me. And if I were to use the tire shop, I imagine it would be a pain to transport the combined tires/wheels due to the weight of the things and the smallish boot of the RRS. So, I really have not figured out a compelling reason to get dedicated wheels. Somebody out there might be able to enlighten me. Thanks.
My two cents - I'd rather spend ~20 min switching my wheels for free than spend an hour at the tire shop having them scuff and ding my wheels for $80 twice a year.

If you have a torque driver or an air compressor and impact wrench, it will take you a lot less time than that, even.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to pop back and say thanks for all the replies! Ended up finding a sweet deal on a 2013 after I discovered that Colorado was virtually sold out of new Sports until the 2018s show up in March. Just couldn't wait.

Anyway, loads of useful information here. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts