RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i love the 22” wheels on the dynamic package, but the rears are tucked in more than i like. Is anyone using wheel spacers on their L494? I’d love to have them fill in the well just a bit more. Front sits nicely, but the rears are too far in.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
I'd personally advise against running a disperate track width -- your rear being wider than your front, if only by 20-50mm or so, might have some unexpected consequences when it comes to traction control, torque vectoring by braking, and other stability management calculations.

I might be wrong; I've not played w/ spacers myself, and have no idea how touchy the stability management is w/ these vehicles. If you can get away with it, the bonus would be that you're not screwing w/ the steering geometry. I guess that's mitigated though since cornering performance will apparently take a hit (the smaller the rear spacers, the smaller the impact I'd gather), but then again I'll bet you're not autocrossing your Rover. `) Your turning radius will suffer to some degree as well.

If you do wind up testing the waters, make sure you've accounted for (i.e. restored) the wheel stud threads you'll lose inside the spacer. In my bimmer days, this was easy since those vehicles used wheel bolts that'd thread into the rotor assy, so spacers would just come w/ longer wheel bolts. I don't know how it'd work w/ standard lug nuts but I'm sure it's not too difficult. Just don't overlook that part. ;-)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could be wrong, but i can’t imagine rear spacers would have any adverse effects. Keeping in mind that we have studs, as you mentioned, i think that i’ll be limiting my choices to a relatively small (~5mm) spacer. H&R does make a bolt on style 1”, but i think that might be too much and would look silly from the rear. With 2” wider stance, i can see some added stress on the rear components, so i’ll be steering clear of that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have startech spacers on my 18 SVR and had them on my 16 as well. they are 40mm per axel (so 20 per wheel) and the thing looks MEAN AS HECK. Ive never had problems with their product ever, and you don't get any vibration, or anything bad really.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have startech spacers on my 18 SVR and had them on my 16 as well. they are 40mm per axel (so 20 per wheel) and the thing looks MEAN AS HECK. Ive never had problems with their product ever, and you don't get any vibration, or anything bad really.
Do you have any photos? Would love to see it. Especially from the rear if you have. Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any pics ?

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,444 Posts
20mm is over 3/4 of an inch. That seems like it would put a lot of stress on the wheel studs. I'm assuming these are simple spacers, not adapters that bolt onto the existing studs and have their own studs for the wheels. I'm surprised the stock studs are long enough to accommodate the spacers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20mm is over 3/4 of an inch. That seems like it would put a lot of stress on the wheel studs. I'm assuming these are simple spacers, not adapters that bolt onto the existing studs and have their own studs for the wheels. I'm surprised the stock studs are long enough to accommodate the spacers.
I looked them up, they are “adapter” style. You bolt them to your hub, then bolt wheels onto them. I can see the “sandwich” style adding stress to the studs, but I wouldn’t think this set up adds any significant stress to things, does it?

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,444 Posts
I looked them up, they are “adapter” style. You bolt them to your hub, then bolt wheels onto them. I can see the “sandwich” style adding stress to the studs, but I wouldn’t think this set up adds any significant stress to things, does it?
Hopefully not. Someone on the other thread mentioned the spacers were moving on the studs though.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
81 Posts
Hopefully not. Someone on the other thread mentioned the spacers were moving on the studs though.
The one you are referring to had custom made spacers. The others who mounted those from H&R didn't report any issue. Someone confirmed he drove over 30k miles without any issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one you are referring to had custom made spacers. The others who mounted those from H&R didn't report any issue. Someone confirmed he drove over 30k miles without any issues.
That's what i am looking at, H&R Trek+ DRM 15mm for the rear. I like the front as it is. I'll do some measuring this weekend to see how much the rears need to come out in order to perfectly match the front. I dont want anything obviously pushed, nor do i want to mess with the front, so just a small nudge in the rear. Look at the RR catalog and these deceitful photos... this is exactly my truck, down to the color scheme, but my wheels (same as photo) certainly don't sit this flush. :naughty:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hmm. I may do the 15mm for the rear.

“H&R Trek+ DRM 15mm“

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It should be no surprise for me at this point, because nothing seems to come easy with this truck. The smallest spacer that H&R makes for the L494 is 20mm. So, i’ll be contacting them today to see if they can make me a pair of 15mm. I measured, and the rear is just about 15mm drawn in compared to the front.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It should be no surprise for me at this point, because nothing seems to come easy with this truck. The smallest spacer that H&R makes for the L494 is 20mm. So, i’ll be contacting them today to see if they can make me a pair of 15mm. I measured, and the rear is just about 15mm drawn in compared to the front.
Interesting.

Do you mind reporting back with what they say ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't find 15mm spacers for this truck. According to their website, smallest that H&R makes is 20mm and I cannot reach their R&D folks for the life of me. I've been calling, emailing, etc. but nothing.

I don't really want to go to 20mm because the rears will stick out further than the fronts. 5mm doesn't sound like much, but in wheel spacing, it's quite a difference visually.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Motorsport-Tech has agreed to make me a pair of 15mm steel spacers (i opted for steel over alu just because our trucks are heavy).

Reason no one makes less than 20mm is because most wheels have very shallow pockets between lugs on the mounting side of the wheel. Luckily style 6, 22” wheels have a 15mm recessed pocket so the 27mm stock wheel studs fit.

Leadtime to make the spacers is 2 weeks so i’ll report back once they come in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts