RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done a bit of searching (found the official tyre review!) and a few other threads about tramlining (which was more suspension fault than wheel size).

What I'm wanting to know if what differences are there between the 16" and 18" wheels. Would be running factory size tyres (255/65/16 and 255/55/18) and would be for on-road only. Would look to get some cheap muddies on 16s for the occasional off roading I do.

What are the differences on road between the 2 wheel sizes, I presume with less sidewall that you'll feel more of the bumps than with the 16s. Are there any other things I need to consider?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Yes...16's will feel a little smoother. They'll also have a bit more body roll, but IMO the smoothness is worth it.
The 18's, aside from looks and a totally different tire selection...they seem to wander the grooves of the road for some people. Myself included. Now... in my case I need to replace my ball joints and bushings, so that's not helping either.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Mine used to wander on the original Michelins. Put UHP's on this time around, quieter and no wander (tramlining) :thumb:

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Oddly enough, my 33" Maxxis BigHorn muddies on 16" rims are a more comfortable ride on-road than my 265x65 Cooper HT plus on 18" rims, and much less wandering.

Am seriously considering switching to the muddies for on-road use, even though the speedo is out by approx 10-15% and they are a lot noiser... maybe it will help drown the sound of the free-flowing dual exhaust system a bit :) AUD$1500 down the drain for the Cooper tyres if I do though.

Cheers, Paul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts