RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone had the recurring problem I've had with wheel nuts? My 1995 with mainly original wheel nuts I'm noticing that sockets don't fit properly and I'm having to go over size 27-28mm on a socket to get the nuts off. Often they round off with 28mm but the 27 won't fit. It looks as if the stainless steel skin over the nut distorts. Why should this be? I took one apart and found the main steel nut had begun to rust with a build up of rust between the steel nut and the outer stainless steel skin - causing the scokets to not fit etc.

Anyone else noticed this?

Assuming it is correct I've filled all my new nuts with oil and left them overnight to soak it up. I'll tell you in 10 years whether it works or not. I suppose waxoyl might be a better thing to soak them in?

Regards
Paul C

·
Registered
211 Posts
Instead of using a 28mm socket, use the next size down standard socket, you won't round them off.

I pulled mine this weekend to inspect the rear brakes, that's the only reason I know. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheBoss said:
Instead of using a 28mm socket, use the next size down standard socket, you won't round them off.

I pulled mine this weekend to inspect the rear brakes, that's the only reason I know. ;)

27mm is I think size that fits when they are brand new. Once they start to rust and "swell" 27 wont fit and 28 is too big = rounding off. Of course they rust most on the flats so makes the rounding offness worse.

Anyone thought of any better preventive solution other than soaking in Waxoyl?

Regards
Paul C

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
They start to rust if you don't use OEM.
I tried Britpart and Allmakes, that's ****

G

·
0 Posts
also works well to keep moisture from electronics like the shoe box under the passenger seat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts