RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my p38 it had crazy big Disco4 wheels on it. I soon got rid of them and installed some big mud tyres on modulars as I was only using the car for off-road driving. However, as we all know, times change and I need to tow more and use the p38 on the road. So, I’ve bought a set of hurricanes with the correct size rubber and put them on today.

Wow, what a difference! It’s so much lighter to drive, smoother and far quieter. Very pleased. No more death wobble, better turning circle etc.

However, of course new problems have come to light. I have a strange rumble about 35-40mph which doesn’t seem related to engine or gearbox speed, acceleration/deceleration or braking. It’s there in neutral and in any gear.

Ive tried the search on here but no found anything (as per all my searches!!!)

Any pointers on where to check pls?

I’ve already replaced all the bushes and the axle ball joints in the last 12 months.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
Is it a rumble or vibration? Vibration could be rear wheel balance although that normally happens at a slightly higher speed. Presumably the other wheels needed spigot adapters, sure you took them all off?

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a physical rumble so guess a vibration! Feels like it’s from the centre of vehicle but things transmit thru a chassis.
I think it’s too fast in resonance and too short a window for a wheel balance....

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
Try putting a grease gun on the propshaft UJs' and sliding joints. If that makes a difference then that's where you should be looking.

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grrr still there....

Greased all nipples on both props and UJs, fitted new weight on front axle, checked all tyre pressures. No play in UJs.

Grumble comes at 28-30, 33-39, 60-67 mph. Worse in the middle range.
Does it in N, D, 3, 2. Up hill, flat and downhill. No shake on steering wheel or thru brake pedal.

????????

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
If it does it in N, then it is in the driveline somewhere. If greasing the props didn't change it, it isn't a UJ, no change when cornering rules out front wheel bearings, no difference when under power or not would seem to rule out diffs, so the only thing left really is a rear wheel bearing although I would still expect it to change a bit when cornering due to increased or reduced loading..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
492 Posts
remove front or rear tail shaft and go for a short drive , it's a process of elimination.

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
If you take the rear propshaft off make sure you put at least a couple of nuts on the studs to stop the parking brake drum making a bid for freedom from under the car. Don't drive too far with either propshaft off or you will seize the viscus coupling in the transfer box. Your problem is still going to be identifying the source of the rumble. If it is a wheel bearing then taking either propshaft off won't make a difference

1 - 12 of 12 Posts