RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again.

My volume control in the steering wheel does not alter the sound but seems to act as a "mode" switch.

If I increase volume, it changes the CD track.

Decrease and it switches to FM radio and changes stations.

Can this be right?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
IIRC, the switches use a pulse, (or tone) that is just slightly different than the next, if a switch is acting up it will give the signal of the next switch by accident.

not sure what to do about it though, seems the switches may be cleanable. mine do the same thing when cold.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nope that is not right.But steering wheel controls do some odd things at times.Mine often works in reverse,ie pressing the increase volume button actually lowers the volume.I have heard of others with the same issue,but dont know if anyone has found a solution.Meanwhile when it happens to me ,I use the volume control on the radio panel. :doh:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shupack said:
IIRC, the switches use a pulse, (or tone) that is just slightly different than the next, if a switch is acting up it will give the signal of the next switch by accident.

not sure what to do about it though, seems the switches may be cleanable. mine do the same thing when cold.
Interesting, Holmes!

The steering wheel looks new, or the two controls (volume and the other one) have no wear on them at all; they were both quite worn on Beryl.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
I have the same thing because i use a late version Autobiography steering wheel meant to go with Alpine Setup not Clarion like mine.
Guess what it suit my needs better, that way i know can change my radio station easily and i even have a mute touch ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Each button connects the radio input to ground through a resistor of a different value. Nothing as complicated as a pulse or tone, but that's the basic idea.

Is your headunit stock? Different HUs expect different resistor values for various functions. I posted info on the adaptor I built in May.

If it's all stock you've probably got a poor connection driving the resistance up and changing the function. They do tend to do other functions when cold.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, the two controls on the steering wheel are swapped over - left hand mode does the volume (but upside down) and the right hand volume does the mode!

How can this be?

Is it possible that the feeds to the head unit have been swapped over?

·
Registered
72 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
Nope, there's only one wire to the HU.

Looks like either your HU or your wheel have been swapped.

Joel.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jgreene said:
SpiggyTopes said:
Nope, there's only one wire to the HU.

Looks like either your HU or your wheel have been swapped.

Joel.
Thanks for all the replies.

The covers on both controls look new - maybe the steering wheel is too?

How can I swap over the controls?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoke to the previous owner.

He said that the wheel had been changed and that he had been told that it would be necessary to change over the connectors in a PCB in the steering wheel ..... sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Any ideas?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
Spoke to the previous owner.

He said that the wheel had been changed and that he had been told that it would be necessary to change over the connectors in a PCB in the steering wheel ..... sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Any ideas?
That's my case. Previous owner is right but it's not that easy to change the PCB in the steering wheel, there are tiny bolts and lots of risk

·
Registered
468 Posts
996TURBO said:
That's my case. Previous owner is right but it's not that easy to change the PCB in the steering wheel, there are tiny bolts and lots of risk
There's two phillips screws holding the connector in place. From memory there's three screws (might have been torx heads) holding the flex onto the wheel. The switch boxes clip out of their holders and can be taken apart quite easily. I've fiddled around with mine and I'd give it a 0.5/10 on the difficulty scale and a 0/10 on risk.

Hardest part of the whole operation is getting to the torx bolts on the back of the steering wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts