RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most stupid modification you've seen done to a P38?

Inspired by another thread, but I always thought the most stupid thing you could do to a P38 was remove the EAS and fit coil springs. Now it appears that something I've never even considered, fitting a remote start, has moved to the top of the pile. The Classic is looking dated, the L322 looks plain ugly from the rear, it's too tall and/or narrow and the L405 just looks like an overgrown Evoque (which doesn't really deserve the Range Rover name, it's only a Mk 3 Freeloader really). I personally think the P38 looks just about perfect as it was when it came out of Solihull, so bull bars and light guards are pretty high on my list of totally pointless things you can do to one too.

What else is there that others simply don't like and would never consider doing to their P38?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Re: What's the most stupid modification you've seen done to a P38?

Coils, big tyres, side steps, aftermarket stereo...

·
Registered
690 Posts

What I don't understand with the remote start idea is how does it check the oil and water before starting? Unless of course you're sufficiently brave to start your P38 from cold *without* checking the oil and water (I'm not)...

·
Registered
282 Posts

This (spotted on ebay) seems pretty silly....
P39 and a half.JPG

...although give me 12 months or so on my project and no doubt I'll end up making quite a dumb modification somewhere along the line... :wink:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

The Classic is looking dated, the L322 looks plain ugly from the rear, it's too tall and/or narrow and the L405 just looks like an overgrown Evoque (which doesn't really deserve the Range Rover name, it's only a Mk 3 Freeloader really). I personally think the P38 looks just about perfect as it was when it came out of Solihull, so bull bars and light guards are pretty high on my list of totally pointless things you can do to one too.
Agreed, EXCEPT I love the full OEM brush guard on P38s, and preserved Classics still look sexy as ever IMO.

What else is there that others simply don't like and would never consider doing to their P38?
L322 conversion kits are at the top. Anything involving chrome. Non-P38 wheels. RR sport-style gills. Flat black wraps. And Gucci-type headliners/interior.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Agreed, EXCEPT I love the full OEM brush guard on P38s, and preserved Classics still look sexy as ever IMO.

L322 conversion kits are at the top. Anything involving chrome. Non-P38 wheels. RR sport-style gills. Flat black wraps. And Gucci-type headliners/interior.
Agreed, the OEM brush guard and the SD rack look great in my opinion.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts

Chrome stick on side vents top the list for me. I can even understand aftermarket wheels (though I'd never put them on mine), but those stupid side vents piss me off.

Just because you don't understand why someone wants to put a functional remote start system on their P38, doesn't mean you need to be a condescending jerk about it. They have their use, even if you don't understand it. Seeing as how you're from the UK, you probably don't have the issue, but have you ever tried getting on your hot leather in 105 degree weather when it's sitting in the sun?

There's a big difference between functionality upgrades (remote start/aftermarket alarm/a modern radio) and stupid chrome spinners and underglow. (Which are things I've seen on P38's)

And I love my stock brush guard and tail light gaurds.

Personally I have a complete aftermarket sound system in my P38, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Two 4 gauge lines run to my trunk, where I have two Diamond Audio amplifiers, my 600.4 feeds my aftermarket component speakers, and my 1200.1 feeds my Diamond Audio Hex Pro 12" Subwoofer in a custom enclosure, running at 4 ohms, and Dynamat. I can guarantee the sound quality will blow away the stock Harman/Kardon system. I also get safety features such as Bluetooth handsfree calling, handsfree GPS, and the sound upgrade of HD Radio, direct iPod control, Satellite Radio, etc. all cleanly mounted into my dash. So you can keep your POS CD changers and cassette adapters to play your iPod. I'll stick with my set up.
The dash set up-

The trunk-

The guts-

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just because you don't understand why someone wants to put a functional remote start system on their P38, doesn't mean you need to be a condescending jerk about it. They have their use, even if you don't understand it. Seeing as how you're from the UK, you probably don't have the issue, but have you ever tried getting on your hot leather in 105 degree weather when it's sitting in the sun?
I wasn't intentionally condescending, maybe it's just that you don't understand English sarcasm? However, although I live in the UK, I regularly travel to the south of France where I am now. Air temperature today was 32 degrees C (90 F) and after the car had sat in the sun for about 6 hours, the HEVAC told me the temperature was 58 degrees C (136 F), so yes, I do appreciate the problem. Fortunately I don't have leather (looks pretty but cold in the winter and hot in the summer) so the seats weren't too bad but the steering wheel was so hot I had to steer with my fingertips. All I did was open the windows for the first 100 yards or so. I still haven't seen anyone mention how the remote start can also start the A/C though.

I don't have a problem with aftermarket stereos though. Mine came with no stereo and the low line speaker install so I put a Pioneer DAB/FM radio/CD player in it running into the standard speakers. Sounded great to me. Then I heard Gordon's original Harmon Kardon system (modified so he can run his iPhone through it) with the high line speakers and sub and now I am thinking I definitely need to upgrade mine..... But that is something that doesn't detract from the appearance of the car and can easily be removed, unlike some of the mods some people do.

R

·
0 Posts

okay, that might be a practical use for a remote start.... airco working in advance of getting in

I rarely check water and oil...certainly not every cold start.......once a week at the most... a P38 is not that bad that you should fear it needing the every start "preflight" checklist ... curious if you do find things that would not have been found in time with a weekly or even monthly check?

As far as my DSE is concerned.... that is allmost in its original state... uptill now only the 18"huricane rims have been fitted and fog lights in the front bumper (auto-cooler moved to the middle) The interior gets a display next to the clock (with a car-pc connected to it with navigation, internet, camera etc) and perhaps I will wrap the body with dark grey metalic matt foil (will do before going greenlaning in november in the UK, just as protection for the paintwork...and if i get the foil on neatly and it stays nice i will leave it on)

My HSE is another chapter.... this car is only for driving offroad, non licenced, freecard to do whatever i like

2" spacers under the original airbags
+2" terrafirma shocks
riased sensorarm-mount on front radius arms, lowered sensor on rear axle (still working on better solution for this)
285/75 R16 mud tires (kumho)
planned to do:
-custom steel front bumper with winch, A-bar with drivinglights
-diff, tank, steering guards
-custom steel rear bumper with winch (perhaps will need to modify sparewheel"bay" or simply put winch there)
-custom treesliders
-custom roofrack with lights around and filterbox with snorkel to manifold
-protective cases for the BECM and other computers (open top or forced airflow with closed top) under the seats to protect them if water gets inside when wading)
-removal of floorcarpets because of sucking water in foam underneath when water gets in at wading
-ARB airlocker in rear diff

The red one looks brutal... wrong colour, but as offroad toy...NICE

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts

What I don't understand with the remote start idea is how does it check the oil and water before starting? Unless of course you're sufficiently brave to start your P38 from cold *without* checking the oil and water (I'm not)...
If you maintain your own rig this point is entirely... pointless. Although if the topic keeps getting beaten I am sure that dead horse will rise at any moment!

·
Registered
241 Posts

... I still haven't seen anyone mention how the remote start can also start the A/C though...
Remote start can't generally change anything (just starts the engine). You would need to set the aircon to the temp you want it before you leave the vehicle. When the remote start is activated the system would start where it was left.

Hope that helps clarify :)

·
Registered
883 Posts

Back to the original topic however, I'd have to say this is one of the worst I've seen.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Knowing nothing of how the remote start units work, I was assuming all it did was start the engine and not power up everything else. I just leave my A/C on Auto with the temperature set at 20 degrees C (68 F), warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer.

Not keen on the brush guard personally but I think it was only offered as an option in the UK which very few buyers took up, no car came with it as standard. We got far less of the 'special editions' here than were sent to the US market as buyers would buy a Range Rover rather than looking for something with a different badge. If it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for anyone.

·
Registered
883 Posts

Knowing nothing of how the remote start units work, I was assuming all it did was start the engine and not power up everything else. I just leave my A/C on Auto with the temperature set at 20 degrees C (68 F), warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer.

Not keen on the brush guard personally but I think it was only offered as an option in the UK which very few buyers took up, no car came with it as standard. We got far less of the 'special editions' here than were sent to the US market as buyers would buy a Range Rover rather than looking for something with a different badge. If it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for anyone.
Technically the brush guards and rear lamp guards were optional here as well. And expensive options. Seems to me that most P38's around me have them though.

Yeah, but you guys got the Autobiography, the Vogues, and the Diesels. So I think you still win.

·
Registered
690 Posts

If you maintain your own rig this point is entirely... pointless. Although if the topic keeps getting beaten I am sure that dead horse will rise at any moment!
I'm not sure why you think it's pointless. Part of maintaining it is checking it's got the right sort of quantities of the right sort of fluids in the right places. In any car that's nearly 20 years old, it's worth checking it every cold start.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts

image.jpg image.jpg
To add to the worst of the worst contest. Perfect examples of my pet peeves

·
Registered
883 Posts

They just scream poor drug dealer.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts