RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've borrowed a friend's Nanocom (he has a D2 TD5), and bought a Motronic activation code for it. But it doesn't work on my P38, I'm getting a "vehicle identification error".

I'm getting the error when going to Motronic through the D2 or P38 menus.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the cables? I opened this one up, but couldn't see anything that would really give it away.

I'm not planning on buying an overpriced cable to access a feature that's available on multiple models and is just accessed through the main communications line.

Or perhaps there's another reason it isn't working?

·
Registered
931 Posts
The P38 uses the Green OBD Plug and The TD5 the blue OBD plug.

Pins connected are as follows.

BLUE--------- Green
4----------------4
5--------------- 5
7--------------- 7
8--------------- 8
9--------------- 9
14 -------------14
16 ------------ 16

You should be able to check on RAVE whether the cable you have has the correct pins connected to use with the motronic ECU.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, do you also happen to have the Nanocom-side pinout for the green cable?

We looked through the wiring diagram and found no reason why it wouldn't be able to connect to the Motronic ECU with the blue cable. From a discussion on another forum a possibility is that it tries to poll for the BeCM, but can't communicate with it because that has another data line.

I don't really care about accessing any other functions, the Rovacom can do that, it's just the Motronic I want to get to.

·
Registered
931 Posts
BLUE--------- Green---------------Nanocom 15 pin
-----------------1-----------------------1
4----------------4-----------------------15&8
5--------------- 5-----------------------15&8
6-----------------------------------------9
7--------------- 7------------------------4
8--------------- 8------------------------5
9--------------- 9------------------------12
----------------11------------------------2
----------------12------------------------3
----------------13------------------------6
----------------14------------------------6
14---------------------------------------10
----------------15------------------------7
16 ------------ 16------------------------14

Hope this helps

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very much, thanks a lot! Will have a look at it later today.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, strange things are happening. I've finally had a chance to look at the cable, and it appears to already be a green cable from the pinout above, but my friend claims he's bought a blue one... and it doesn't work on my P38.

Did you get the colours mixed up, or is something else going on causing the Nanocom to not work?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I don't know the in's and out's but was the license your friend got for the Motronic an addition to the existing Disco II license, or a specific P38 license?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know there's only one Motronic license, but perhaps it combines that with the activated vehicle license or something... but that would be utterly ridiculous :/

·
Registered
931 Posts
Right, strange things are happening. I've finally had a chance to look at the cable, and it appears to already be a green cable from the pinout above, but my friend claims he's bought a blue one... and it doesn't work on my P38.

Did you get the colours mixed up, or is something else going on causing the Nanocom to not work?
Both cables should work on your P38.If you use the blue cable then you will not be able to communicate with the EAS and airbag on the P38,but other modules should work.Of course you do need the correct licence to function.

·
Registered
931 Posts
As far as I know there's only one Motronic license, but perhaps it combines that with the activated vehicle license or something... but that would be utterly ridiculous :/
That is possibly what happens.I suggest you try the motronic on a V8 disco if you get hold of one.It may work on that ok.
As your friends Nanocom is only licenced for Disco,these units are licenced for use on multivehicles of the same type!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only know of one Motronic disco around here, and I don't see the guy very often, so that'll be hard to test.

I guess I'll have to take another look at unlock code generation then :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts