RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing the transmission and transfer case that failed on a 2012 RR HSE.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the subject transmission?
I find much more on the 6HP26 than the 6HP28.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I understand that the 6HP28 is a refresh of the 6HP26, and that it's rated for a little more torque capacity, but am I correct for certain to assume the 2012 RRs have the 6HP28?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
The ‘second generation’ 6HP transmission (6HP28 ) was introduced in the L322 from 2010MY onwards, when the 5.0 litre NA and SC petrol engines were introduced. Input torque capability was nominally increased from 600Nm to 700Nm. Gear ratios were identical.

The 3.6 TDV8 continued to use the ‘first generation’ transmission model (6HP26) for a further year until the 8-speed replaced it when the 4.4 TDV8 engine was introduced for 2011MY.

Phil

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ‘second generation’ 6HP transmission (6HP28 ) was introduced in the L322 from 2010MY onwards, when the 5.0 litre NA and SC petrol engines were introduced.
Phil
Thank you, Phil. From an earlier reply, you seemed maybe a little surprised to hear the failure my trans/transfer case splines had, that you had seen it more with the 6HP26 if I understood correctly. My MY would be a 6HP28.
Is there a difference between the 6HP26 and 6HP28 that would avoid the 6HP28 from having this failure?
Do you know of or think that Land Rover began putting the spline anti-seize on the splines with the later MYs and the 6HP28?

I spoke with a couple of guys at sources for a replacement (such as ZF Eriksson), one or two echoed what you indicated, that the root cause is likely that LR had not applied a spline grease/anti-seize prior to assembly. The ZF Eriksson guy said that while the transmission is used in many vehicles, only LR has this all-too-common problem, and only LR does not apply spline grease at assembly.

I did contact LRNA and report the problem and my disappointment that a LR product could fail for something as basic as the transmission/TC interface, with normal use. They have a case number, and if they can provide some consideration in the repair/replacement parts, that would be something, and a pleasant surprise as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts