RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the amazing info on the gearbox 'learning' etc on another thread and finding oot that I have the GM gearbox I was wondering,
What is the differences and what is the 'better' of the two types of boxes?
and WHY?

Intrested wills :thumb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can't choose your gearbox !! sorry!!

GM comes with TD6
ZF 5HP24 commes with the 4,4L V8 until 2005 .

Jaybear `)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Personally, based on experience of driving my 4.4 RR with a ZF box and a BMW 730d with the GM box ( basically the same setup as the td6 RR + GM box )

I think the BMW setup is smoother in its stock setting. It just seems a little more refined in its changes. On a typical pull away, the BMW has an even acceleration through the gears. The RR is a little more eager with a feel of: accelerate, change, accelerate, change, yay, lets go. As a result though, I tend to feel that the Beemer has a little dull-ness to it. I often press the accelerator and think " come on, lets go ... I'm waiting "

In terms of reliability ... I dont have figures, but my experience says to ignore any suggestion that either wont ever need a change of fluid. The most important thing you can do for the box is to change the fluid on a reasonable periodic basis IMHO.

When they break, the transmission place told me the ZF was the better one for breaking in terms of what goes. His phrase was along the lines of when the ZF goes, it breaks a few rings and seals and stops working. When the GM box goes, it shatters parts and proceeds to 'lunch itself'. His words not mine.

I dont think either is significantly 'better' per say. They both do the job, and both are smooth.

G

·
0 Posts
littlehandegan said:
I had a 2004 RR with the 4.4 and the tranny sucked. Put a new one in at 30,000, and at 60,000.

Cant handle any abuse....
Neither can my wife... :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
littlehandegan said:
I had a 2004 RR with the 4.4 and the tranny sucked. Put a new one in at 30,000, and at 60,000.

Cant handle any abuse....

I have a 2003 RR with the 4 liter. Tranny lasted until 96k miles. Put a new one in (Reman cost $2500) and Rovering happily!

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
BOFABill said:
Thats jolly good info, thank you.

I have a new box on mine so fungers crossed

cheers
Did they swap the cooler and lines when the box was replaced? I'd do a flush (not just change) after about 10k miles at the latest too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts