RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the old girl is more than just marking her territory now. Crawling around under her today there is a lot of engine oil dripping off the bottom of the radiator - so I'm guessing there is a problem with the oil cooler or hoses behind the rad.

Now RAVE seems to sugest removing the A/C condensor to get to the oil cooler, but I would prefer not to go this route as I'm being a cheap skate and don;t want to pay for a recharge as not long had one done.

Anyway my question really is - Is it possible to get to the cooler and lines by removing the radiator and leaving the condensor in place or are some bolts only accessable from the front?

thanks

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
PUll the slam panel and radiator and you can get to both the oil and tranny coller very easily. Be forewarned, the hoses fittings have a nasty way of getting really friendly with the oil cooler after this many years together. A bit of hot and cold can usually break them apart, but don;t be surprised if you don;t end up replacing the cooler and both lines.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Be prepared to buy a new one.

There is every chance the connectors will gall the threads on the cooler and destroy them. Ask me how I know.

Use nickel anti-seize on reassembly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Think I will get the cooler and hoses before venturing in as can't afford for it to be off the road at the moment - SWMBO would kill me 8~

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just been looking at the price and availability of oil coolers - What do people think of aftermarket ones as they are about 1/2 the price of genuine. Has anyone used one and if so do they fit?

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I'll tell ya I have a couple of good used ones, just sayin. I can send you one so you have it if you brake yours, if you don't send it back!
ooops sorry I just saw you were in the UK. I wonder what shipping would cost? I'm kinda getting off on seeing how difficult it is to ship to other countries.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Scotty

Thanks for the offer that would have been really cool - shame I'm not on the other side of the pond.

Problem with shipping stuff here is not just cost of shipping, but then customs add an import duty and then add VAT (tax) to the price of the item, shipping and import duty. so basically they add a tax and then tax you on the tax :naughty:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts