RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a scratch that's about 3 inches long on my fender and one of the local repair shops wants $800 to fix it saying they need paint the entire fender for blending purposes. Anyone have any ways they've dealt with scratches that work out well and maybe cost way less than $800?

·
Registered
13 Posts
just paint the whole car :thumb:

If you can live with it not being PERFECT. Auto Zone has little paint pens that work pretty good

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Depends on how deep it is. If its below the clear coat, its harder.

Also depends on the color, if its black, you can do several coats of touch up paint with wet sanding in between, but a blemish may still be visible ... all depends on the scratch ...

Have you tried a high end detail shop that may be able to fill in and airbrush the area?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Depends on how deep it is. If its below the clear coat, its harder.

Also depends on the color, if its black, you can do several coats of touch up paint with wet sanding in between, but a blemish may still be visible ... all depends on the scratch ...

Have you tried a high end detail shop that may be able to fill in and airbrush the area?
Yeah, it's through the clear coat. Detail shop said there was nothing they'd be able to do about it. I've got grey,

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
Definitely can be wetsanded and airbrushed by a good shop for a minimal charge. I've got a guy in LA that does it and does an amazing job. I was sold when I saw him do touch ups on a Ferarri 599

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
CB, what tha heck are you doing getting 3 inch long scratches bro? picture, pictures for proper diagnosis. But i'm sure the right detailer can make it way less noticeable, unless someone keyed it or something, and even then 3 inches is not that big a deal, re-holster that check book, $800.00 sounds like a lot of $$$ for a 3 in. scratch.

Rafa

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaaah I know! I think it happened when it was being shipped to me. It's like a scratch that would happen if it had been keyed. I'll try and get a picture. I'm becoming obsessive about it, I want to forget about it but I can't.

·
Registered
318 Posts
CB08 said:
Aaaah I know! I think it happened when it was being shipped to me. It's like a scratch that would happen if it had been keyed. I'll try and get a picture. I'm becoming obsessive about it, I want to forget about it but I can't.
I like the idea of the wetsand and airbrush. Anytime there is an alternative to painting a whole body piece (it will never ever match 100% with the rest of the car) I would go for it. The cheap alternative is the paint pen/brush, which will leave some blobbing but will cover the gray. Lastly, dr colorchip and langka both have pretty good systems for touch ups in which you level the paint you apply so that it looks fairly factory, instead of leaving those blobs. I have not tried either, but I feel your pain on having to see that scratch everyday!

·
Registered
260 Posts
CB08 said:
I'm becoming obsessive about it, I want to forget about it but I can't.
This is exactly why we are all on car forums my friend. The pure satisfaction once the problem is fixed is bliss! Make sure you check out every detailer within 20-30miles of you. There's gotta be someone that is skilled enough to do the airbrush method.

FYI when I had this done on my porsche I brought in some factory touch up paint that the guy poured into his little airbrush bottle to insure a perfect match. Porsche touch comes in two bottles one is the paint and the other is the clear. Not sure about the Rover but you may want to have some handy when you find the right guy to do it so he doesn't have to mix to make your color.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I found a place that might be able to take care of it for me. Still expensive but way less than $800 so I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This was fixed (and the parking sensor replaced to boot) for well less than half of the $800 quote you received.

You can't even tell anything happened now.

(If your scratch is on the bumper, note that the paint on the bumpers has flexi-additive in it.)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Jarvis did your sensor actually fail or did they just replace it as a precaution?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
126 Posts
^
^
^
what trigem said .. i have a buddy that does this and you can not even tell it was fixed.

I would guess its in the buck fifty range in terms of pricing/.

G

·
0 Posts
interesting, I may have to get some contact info from you guys regarding the guy who can do touch up work.

G

·
0 Posts
TriGem2k said:
Definitely can be wetsanded and airbrushed by a good shop for a minimal charge. I've got a guy in LA that does it and does an amazing job. I was sold when I saw him do touch ups on a Ferarri 599
hey, can you provide contact info for this guy? Does this work for paint chips? I am in the process of selling my mother's car and it has like 6 paint chips that I would like to get taken care of. The car is pewter, so I am concerned it may be a harder color to "touch up"...

·
Registered
260 Posts
pimpn04coupe said:
TriGem2k said:
hey, can you provide contact info for this guy? Does this work for paint chips? I am in the process of selling my mother's car and it has like 6 paint chips that I would like to get taken care of. The car is pewter, so I am concerned it may be a harder color to "touch up"...

PM Sent

·
Registered
17 Posts
TriGem2k said:
I've got a guy in LA that does it and does an amazing job. I was sold when I saw him do touch ups on a Ferarri 599
Hey TriGem2k, could i get the name of your guy?
i imagine he could get a door ding out?

thx!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts