RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
For the first 4 years of P38 ownership, all I had was the EASUlock software on an old laptop (old enough to have a serial port even so no USB adapter needed) and a generic OBD code reader. I was stuffed if I needed to do an adaptive reset or interrogate anything other than the engine or EAS but I figured that they were the two things that would stop me dead in my tracks, a fault with the ABS, SRS, HEVAC, etc would still allow me to use the car. The reference to the problems with USB adapters is because the cable uses RS232 serial so with a laptop without one, you need to use an adapter. Adapters using the FTDI chipset are slightly more expensive but far more reliable than the cheapo ones so that is what the more reputable suppliers will give you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I came to the same conclusion with the FTDI adapter cable, the EAS Ulock software should see me through for the moment, but I do have my eye on getting me a Nanocom (little hope of finding one in my Christmas stocking unfortunately). At this stage the Nanocom only needs to be configured for my P38 as our other vehicles are newer and I'm not mechanically minded enough for even thinking about attempting anything on them, besides, the missus will have a heart attack if I suggested working on her car.

The manufactures of the cable I ordered on eBay have this written in their description which I found reassuring, hence, why I ordered from them:

THE USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER INCLUDED IN THIS KIT IS THE REALIABLE QUALITY FTDI CHIPSET ADAPTER. NOT THE CHEAP UNREALIABLE (usualy either a blue coloured adapter with silver cable or a black adapter with no cable at all with the prolific chipset) USB ADAPTER WHICH ARE VERY HIT AND MISS WHEN TRYING TO CONFIGURE DIAGNOSTICS.

WE USE THE SAME ADAPTER WE SUPPLY OURSELVES AND I WILL NOT SUPPLY THE CHEAPER ALTERNATIVES IN OUR KITS

21 - 23 of 23 Posts