RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets All, I've paged through these forums and can't seem to find any info on what the most economical & featured plug-in diagnostic tool that I can purchase for my 1999 Range Rover. There seems to be an abundance of hand held devices on eBay, but nearly all I've checked seem to be designed for newer vehicles. Basically, I'm looking for a nicely priced unit that I can plug in and electronically diagnose, adjust and reset faults if needed. I'm about to embark on servicing my EAS compressor and thought that as a precaution I may need something to reset the EAS setting if I come unstuck (my Rangie takes around 10 to 15 minutes to rise when starting with the LEDs blinking madly crying for help). While I may not need the device with this venture, it may be handy for other future quests.

If there are any links to previous discussions or for units on eBay, etc. I be really grateful if you share them :)

Thanks in Advance
Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... Nanocom? What does it do, or not do? What model (if any)? Any links to it where I can find it? How much?...... Sorry for the mass of questions :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/ Black Box Solutions (Cyprus based) make it, it's a very useful tool. The 'version specific' (Diesel/Motronic/GEMS e.g.) software option applies to all cars with that engine management system, it doesn't VIN lock. Have a run through the emulator on the Black Box site, it gives a good idea of the menus and functions for each car. It can be bought for more than one engine, for example I have a Motronic and a GEMS, so if I needed it (so far only used it for the older car) it's easy enough to add a Motronic option to mine although it's currently GEMS only. The other options are there anyway, so on the Thor car it's happy to go into Wabco D or the differrent cruise control ecu and can also reset the gearbox adaptives even though those aren't available on a GEMS car. In other words, the only specific software module seems to be the engine. They also do the faultmate (2 main types). Pricier, single vehicle option is VIN locked to the car, but if you get the SM035 module (pricier still, I think) it'll (with a bit of soldering etc) unlock the BECM. For general use (depending on vicinity re. someone who does P38 electronics) the Nanocom is usually sufficient. For me, the GEMS car went wrong BECM wise once in two years and it was vastly more economical to use Callrova, the Thor hasn't yet thrown a BECM fault in 11 or so years - but it is a low spec version. A faultmate MSV-2 with the relevant modules would be a fair price more than the occasional repair - depends on what's needed really. Nanocom was around the £500.00 range when I got it a couple of years back, probably includes postage. Involves a few emailed codes, worked fine. They (certainly a year or two ago) can also send out your fob codes if you give them the lockset barcode which is very helpful if, as mine did, the BECM goes wonky on you. This is only applicable if it's already unlocked or someone local has the ability/rovacom/MSV-2 plus module etc. The nanocom will enter these to an unlocked BECM, won't if it's locked. (It can, oddly, lock one or so it seems). There are a few things it shows menus for and seems not to change (mostly BECM and spurious stuff like 'police mode') - in the most part that is probably due to the car itself and either: it doesn't have that option on it (or activated) or: communications. A huge part of the cause of P38 electric issues seems to be either grounding or dodgy connections (or both of course).

·
Registered
211 Posts
+1 nanocom, Google black box solutions, pricey, but sooner or laterally pay back in full

Communicates with all on board ecus: ecm, becm, eas, hvac, gearbox etc clears faults, writes settings (eg ride heights), clears immobilisation via eka code (1998 on)

Doesn't reprogramme keys

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
+1 on the Nanocom Evolution to give it it's full name. The stuff you see on eBay will be generic OBD readers which will work for engine codes but that is all and it will only read and clear them, it won't be able to do an adaptive value reset for instance. The Nano can communicate with all systems, ABS, EAS, HEVAC, etc, not just the engine. A Nano with the licence for Motronic, which you would need, can't communicate with the engine on other models but can still communicate and work with all the other systems though. As for economical, it depends how you look at it. It isn't cheap but will pay for itself in no time if your alternative is going to a workshop and getting them to plug their diagnostics in.

However, if all you need at the moment is EAS, then the free EASUnlock software and a suitable cable is all you need. Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-P38-2-5-4-0-4-4-Air-Suspension-EAS-USB-Reset-Cable-RAVE/113941252453 will do the job nicely or you can download the software from http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=56 and make up your own cable like this http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/p38a-eas-unlock-videos

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1 again on the nanocom. I have used it on my Rovers and a couple of my friends have used it too. Well worth the money for fault finding and fixing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
+1 Nanocom I had to reset service engine the every 90000 mile thing which surprised me around 170000.
One time tranny shifting was off and adaptive value reset took care of it.
Turned of ses about 5x now. There was a recent update too. Paid for itself easily and allows mw to play with the little wipers up front.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gee... Thanks Guys :) Seems like I'm gonna have to save up for the Nanocom, better start putting my pennies aside (Thanks Sam 1979 for the diagnostic and explanation :) ). Thanks Richard_G for the other links as well, have a cable with USB adapter on its way and a full EAS service kit with seals, gaskets and the rest, in the interim it should see me through. I'm not much of a mechanic, but manage to follow instructions step-by-step okay, so fingers crossed I'll muddle through it okay. I also found a complete beginners guide to the EAS system as well (forgive me if you already know about it) which is extremely informative. Anyway, here's the site where the PDF can be downloaded from if it's of interest to anyone:

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a useful PDF, cheers for linking it - There's a good few bits of info which are extremely handy in that. EAS is an excellent system and weirdly misunderstood, when it is working (which is really most of the time if it's set up OK, unless I've just been lucky with it). The Nanocom is rather useful for almost every P38 related daily occurrence that tends to crop up. That said, EAS Unlock is superb for the suspension and in a way more intuitive as it goes on a laptop (I bought an older version on CD a while back which looks like the one in Richard_G's link - it's brilliant).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The free one is the old version, the current V4, although still called EASUnlock, does far more and is trying to be a sort of laptop based Nanocom. Unfortunately it doesn't do the good bits that the Nano can, like display live data or do an adaptive reset.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well I have a Hawkeye Pro and it has done what I needed for my 2000. I bought because it works on ALL Land Rovers up to L405 and I have a 2008 RR on which i have also used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The free one is the old version
That explains it - the old one is fine for the EAS, used it for years on the Bosch and it's really good. The Nanocom lives in the Gems glovebox and has proved to be a valuable tool to keep on board. It's saved more than it cost over the two years of having the car one way and another.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Gordo51, looked at the "Hawkeye Pro" by Bearmach, has the advantage of working on almost anything it seems. Looks like a good unit as well, though at just under $1,100 Aus$ a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Seems like I'll have to continue to save for the Nanocom. For anyone interested, here's the link to it:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Foxwell NT520 pro that I've been happy with for my L405. I believe they have software for earlier models as well. It is substantially less expensive and likely to do most everything you need.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks Gordo51, looked at the "Hawkeye Pro" by Bearmach, has the advantage of working on almost anything it seems. Looks like a good unit as well, though at just under $1,100 Aus$ a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Seems like I'll have to continue to save for the Nanocom. For anyone interested, here's the link to it:

Yes, works on all LRs. I might buy an LR4 in the futue and it will be good for that as well as my P38. A bit surprised it is that expensive. Is it more than a Nanocom is Australia?l

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Foxwell N520 for my other car and have bought/loaded the software for my GEMS p38 - extremely limited for this car. That's why I bit the bullet and went for the Nancom.

With the Nanocom I've
  • Debugged and calibrated EAS
  • Retuned engine and set the IACV values
  • Calibrated blend motors
  • Debugged gearbox fault message
  • Reset MPS Airbag fault
Foxwell unfortunately could not do any of these on the GEMs .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The price of the Foxwell is definitely more attractive at AU$242.96, but seems to be a tad stunted with it's abilities compared to the Nanocom. I shot them an email regarding whether it was compatible with my P38's Motronic system and a few other questions, but they didn't get back to me (always wondered what the point was having a help and 'contact us' section if you can't be bothered to answer any emails). The Unit: https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale/nt520-multi-system-scanner-nt510-updated-version.html

While I've downloaded the free, basic Version 3 of the EAS Unlock Suite and ordered a cable with serial to USB adapter of eBay, the Version 4 is indeed very attractive for the price and it's functionality. A second hand laptop is cheap to pickup and dedicate exclusively to my Rangie. In addition to loading it up with the EAS software, I can also use it for storing PDF manuals and other P38 related software. Its home will be in my shed and from here I can also connect it to my home WiFi and access the Internet to order parts, access data from useful Range Rover sites and follow these forums (especially the step-by-step procedures of remedying problems generously offered by members).

Here's the links again to the free "EAS Unlock Suite" and cable I've ordered:

Free V3 Software: https://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=56
For EAS only, this seems to be a great option.

A seemingly reliable cable and adapter from a reputable company: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RANGE-ROVER-MKII-MK2-P38a-EAS-AIR-SUSPENSION-DIAGNOSTIC-FAULT-CODE-RESET-KIT/223299502561?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I've contacted this company and they assured me that the cable isn't exclusive to my model and works with any P38 vehicle.

The Version 4 of the EAS Software (EAS Unlock V4): https://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/range-rover-p38a/range-rover-p38a-eas-unlock-v3
For what it does, it seems like a great option. I've scrutinized it's abilities and watched the videos and it seems to be a powerful and 'must have' bit of software; the Nanocom has a few advantages over it as mentioned by Richard_G (live data especially might be handy). So, it looks like I may stick with saving my pennies for the Nanocom and hang onto the free "EAS Unlock Suite" in case there's a tragedy when I rebuilt my compressor and valve block as I may have to reset possible faults that erupt during the operation :) I may be tempted to later purchase the V4 version as I like the interface shown in the videos.

Here's the link to the Nanocom that seems to do the job for my Rover if interested. I'd also check out the emulator as it's pretty informative, easy to use and basically locks you in to buy one of these devices.
As my Rover is a 1999 model with Motronic system the NCOM07 appears to be the model I'm after, check their home page to direct to the your P38 version suitable for your vehicle if it's not the same as mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts