RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so now on outings I have an intermittent problem. Sometimes its bad, sometimes its OK, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, in time honoured Range Rover tradition! Once up to temperature (it would appear) my RR will start running very roughly on <8 cylinders down on power obviously and lots of popping from the exhaust. As I'm running LPG and Petrol I've determined that as it behaves in an identical manner on both systems it must be spark related? Last year, it had new genuine spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. Is it just simply going to be the coil? or are there other components in the system?
Any recommendations gratefully received!
For info, its a soft dash LSE 4.2 V8.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Roo said:
OK, so now on outings I have an intermittent problem. Sometimes its bad, sometimes its OK, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, in time honoured Range Rover tradition! Once up to temperature (it would appear) my RR will start running very roughly on <8 cylinders down on power obviously and lots of popping from the exhaust. As I'm running LPG and Petrol I've determined that as it behaves in an identical manner on both systems it must be spark related? Last year, it had new genuine spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. Is it just simply going to be the coil? or are there other components in the system?
Any recommendations gratefully received!
For info, its a soft dash LSE 4.2 V8.
Leaky injectors? fine when cold, too much fuel when warmed up? My rangie was like this...

·
Registered
49 Posts
G'day,

Just solved exactly the same problem on my 95 spec soft dash... after a day where more often than not she ran like a dog !
A simple multmeter test identified that the blessed plug lead for #4 pot was buggered.

New lead... Yeah BABY, back to normal !!! :)

Hope that helps.........

Cheers
Rod

PS - while you're there, if I were you I would remove, examine, gap check and wire brush clean your plugs - as mine drinks oil... :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rodrevolver said:
G'day,

Just solved exactly the same problem on my 95 spec soft dash... after a day where more often than not she ran like a dog !
A simple multmeter test identified that the blessed plug lead for #4 pot was buggered.

New lead... Yeah BABY, back to normal !!! :)

Hope that helps.........

Cheers
Rod

PS - while you're there, if I were you I would remove, examine, gap check and wire brush clean your plugs - as mine drinks oil... :(
What's the procedure for testing the leads? I have a multimeter, just not the knowledge! I'll re-gap and clean the plugs whilst im checking the leads.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What's the procedure for testing the leads?
Set the multimeter fo continuity, sorry can't rember the exact setting but the one where you touch the two leads together and the reading changes (maybe someone could help out with a better description?). Then connect the leads to either end of the ignition lead and see if you have continuity, if so with the leads still attached work your way along the ignition lead with your fingers, manipulating it a bit to see if you have any breaks in continuity. If so lead needs replacing, if not should be ok. Hope that explains it ok? If not let me know and i'll try to re-phrase.

I change ignition leads every couple of years or so as a matter of course.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my leads are all ok, as is my distributor cap and rotor arm along with the spark plugs. A code read yesterday showed that I have a duff oxygen sensor so I will replace that for starters then try and find some reasonably priced manifolds!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I've found out the cause of my problem intermittent rough running. See below!

Its the first time I've been at home whilst it played up so I quickly popped the bonnet and saw it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts