Range Rovers Forum banner

What year did the P38s add side impact airbags?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Jakeiscrazy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

What year did LR add side impact airbags to the p38?

I have an airbag fault on my 1996 and the local junk yard just got a 2000 in. I assume that the crash sensors and front air bags are likely the same but the control module would likely be different if 2000 had the side impacts.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
it added side SRS in mid 99, the best you can do is to look up the modules on atlantic british and compare the part numbers, if they match across the year range you are in business, if not look for the correct module. btw do not turn it up side down, drop or submit to impacts when removed as it houses the yaw sensor, which when triggered will deploy airbags thinking it is a collision.

on the other hand, why do you suspect replacing the module will correct your SRS light code? why not read the codes and diagnose accordingly?, these modules hardly ever fail and even then, it is not recommended to install used.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree it’s mostly likely not my problem. I had my local dealership scan the code and it came back as “Driver’s side fault”. They had no idea what that meant other than that it was a fault and it was on the drivers side.... duh lol. So I replaced the cassett in the steering wheel and double checked that the circuit to the airbag had restitance (not sure what the value should be but it did have a value). I have not tests the sensors and figured I’d pick up the whole set just in case since the junk yards are cheap. Air bags make me nervous haha!

#7 ·
I agree it’s mostly likely not my problem. I had my local dealership scan the code and it came back as “Driver’s side fault”. They had no idea what that meant other than that it was a fault and it was on the drivers side.... duh lol. .So I replaced the cassett in the steering wheel and double checked that the circuit to the airbag had restitance (not sure what the value should be but it did have a value) I have not tests the sensors and figured I’d pick up the whole set just in case since the junk yards are cheap. Air bags make me nervous haha!
I bit too late but I believe it's not recommended to measure the airbag resistance that way.
What you can do is use a resistance emulator to find at what resistance the SRS system is fooled into thinking the airbag is ok.
I used this one earlier this year when I was fiddling with the passenger side airbag.
The SRS system accepted anything between 2,2-3,0 ohms so a resistor at 2,6 Ohm was perfect in my case.

#4 ·
On the pre-99 vehicles, even if you fix the fault, it needs to be cleared with diagnostics - it doesn't self clear on startup if the problem is resolved.

The post '99 MY ECUs (which unfortunately won't work on the earlier systems) are a bit different in that they will self-clear the AIRBAG FAULT message if you've fixed it - and thus avoid a second diagnostics hookup to clear it.

I'd see if the dealership will hook it back up and see if the code clears, now the rotary coupler has been replaced.

#9 ·
I might eventually take you up on that offer. The dealer is 30 minutes away and they are slow to do a what is a 5 min job so going up to Fairfax isn't that bad. Not to mention they're about $75 per scan.

#8 ·
Thanks for that info, the airbag actually read 2.5 if I recall correctly. I figured it likely wasn't the correct testing protocol but I also figured that it would be fine based on some videos I've seen of people doing similar things.

I ended up just getting the front impact sensor from the junkyard rover. It was a 2000 so the SRS module itself wouldn't work. I have yet to test the "new" part or the old one for resistance. I suppose I'll use the passenger side for reference since I know it's good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.