RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to sell off my current 1995 RR 95,000 for a running parts car---it runs good with a slipped liner---but would not trust it at all----so will be sold for parts-----At what point did RR fix this engine with a solid block with no liners?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Never.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Kidding!
Ford years----Bmw years----seems impossible---

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
Why?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Obviously "Scout" is not scouting for info or doing research. :roll:

Scout, Rover engines are Buick by design. Do a bit of research. P38 never had engines without liners. Perhaps if you gave a bit of reasoning behind your question we could better assist you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My guess is he wants to stick with the brand, but doesn't want to go through the loss he's just sustained again - if it were possible.

Sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
2003 is when the liner problem got fix.............

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
vmystikilv said:
..... by building a new model car with a totally different engine. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Boss got it right-----My 1995 is doa with a slipped liner-----from what i read on posts----the liner is the Achilles tendon of the engine. I would like to get 1 more RR ------but my logic is giving me the classic definition of stupid---making the same mistake again and again. My emotions tell me to dive in again----This division is squarely on my mind-

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, here is my opinion - your truck is a 1995 and even though it is pretty low on the miles end, it's still 15 years old and **** happens. There is quite a bit of info around the interwebs on the liner issue and what years suffer the plague the most. One chap put forth the theory that the later models were more prone to liner failure to do wear and tear on the tooling to produce the engine and subsequently tolerances were not what they once were. But anyway....

You know you are going to get another one. Most everyone on here has already thrown logic out the window :mrgreen: . So you may as well either keep yours for parts and start shopping for another P38 or part it out for cash to buy another! Jeez what they heck would you do with all of your free time without a P38 to take care of on the weekends? It's keeping you out of trouble. :D

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
977 Posts
scout said:
I have decided to sell off my current 1995 RR 95,000 for a running parts car---it runs good with a slipped liner---but would not trust it at all----so will be sold for parts-----At what point did RR fix this engine with a solid block with no liners?
Hi,
I understand that RR NEVER had a V8 without liners.
But, if u goto a professional he will re-do the liners with a ridge on upper side with matching cut in the bore.
He will press fit the liners so that they won't move. ( if u need to remove such a liner u have to cut it vertically)
I know this because I got it done for my car( a TOYOTA DIESEL) which never had a liner & runs fine with standard pistons.

regds

kapila

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Chris x
You may be more advanced in thinking things thru than I---Today I engaged a gentleman on the reason,s he bought the Rav-4 he had at my car wash today----maybe in time---I did have a flash of me driving this toyota and seeing a RR and wondered if I had cheated myself----The mind is a cruel taskmaster sometimes
By the way ----directly the next day after the death diagnoses---the first customer I had chance to help that morning came in a Black RR sport----

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
I've had top hat liners fitted to mine. The cost of supply and fit was A$2,200.

I took the engine out and stripped it down for the machine shop.

·
Registered
701 Posts
In 2003, RR finally did away with the rover V8 and featured a 4.4L bmw engine that did not have liners. In 2006, the BMW engine was replaced by the Jaguar V8 WHICH LAND ROVER SHOULD HAVE USED SINCE THE BEGINNING. THE MORONS!!!! THE AJV8 is an amazing engine, WTH was LR thinking... Sorry rant... BTW, The V6 LR3 was the only LR that had a POS Ford engine. The RR 06 to MY RRs use Jag engines that are developed and produced by Jag NOT FORD. Ford actually used the AJV8 in several of their vehicles because they couldn't produce that kind of AMAZING engine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
scout said:
To Chris x
You may be more advanced in thinking things thru than I---Today I engaged a gentleman on the reason,s he bought the Rav-4 he had at my car wash today----maybe in time---I did have a flash of me driving this toyota and seeing a RR and wondered if I had cheated myself----The mind is a cruel taskmaster sometimes
By the way ----directly the next day after the death diagnoses---the first customer I had chance to help that morning came in a Black RR sport----

See, it's all in the cards scout!

My LR dealer provides a RAV-4 as a loaner these days if you go in for service. Horrible little jackrabbit of a car/suv whatevever in my opinion. No doubt lives its life with little drama, but is devoid of any real character and quite frankly does not feel competent to drive. You will feel cheated.....

Let us know what you decide....

Oh and my apologies to the board/mods for the curse word referring to excrement in my prior post. I see it has been changed to Golly Gee Whiz....LOL....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
977 Posts
p38arover said:
I've had top hat liners fitted to mine. The cost of supply and fit was A$2,200.

I took the engine out and stripped it down for the machine shop.
Hi,
If that was only 'producing & fitting liners', u better come to SRILANKA.
They do it here for about 40% of that cost.
:dance:
cheers

kapila

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
allyv8 said:
vmystikilv said:
With another pile of sh-t from BMW.......
WOW... I can't help but feel you are holding back. Please let us know how you really feel about the MarkIII

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I think it's more about the over rated BMW bits put onto the car, not just the car itself that leads Jon to say that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts