RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys I need your input. We have an 06' RRS HSE since August 05'. We luv the truck and never have had any serious problems. It's mainly my wife's car and we only have 49K miles on it with my extended warranty in full effect until June 13'.

Its time for an upgrade and we're having a hard time deciding on either a RRS autobiography or a Full size RR HSE loaded. The price is about the same so that's not the issue. We test drove the RR a couple of weekends ago and it was nice but not super impressed because the RRS interior seems to be the same as the RR Sport. I like the exterior styling on the RRS better. I saw the 14' RRS AB at the NY car show and its pretty nice. I really like the tan leather you can only get in the RRS AB too!

BUT the Full size is The RANGE ROVER and all what it stands for. Its supposed to have the best ride of all Range rovers. My wife likes it better because she has had a sport for almost 8 years. I'm not crazy about the exterior styling but with some running boards and nice wheels it will be nice.

What do you think is a better choice?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also posted this in the RRS forum to get varying opinions and reasoning.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
279 Posts
Not sure if it still holds true with the 2014's, but having both a 2008 RRS S\C and a 2008 RR HSE-Lux, the quality of the Range Rover is a magnitude above the RRS. All the switches, the drive, refinement, the NAV-Stereo-Bluetooth, room etc. The RRS is feeling its age, where the RR looks and feels like it can go another decade - and it will. The big exception is the ivory Oxford leather on the RR which has worn really poorly, even with replacing the seat bottom skins once already. The leather on the RRS still feels and looks new. I gently clean and condition/protectant both the same - so it is the leather.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be your wife's car so let her decide.
Thanks but it maybe her car but I'm still responsible for everything else:shock:. So even if she picks it I'll still have to deal with it if she doesn't like it, especially when the new sport hits the streets and she says "WOW that's nice" meaning I wish I had that one. Lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it still holds true with the 2014's, but having both a 2008 RRS S\C and a 2008 RR HSE-Lux, the quality of the Range Rover is a magnitude above the RRS. All the switches, the drive, refinement, the NAV-Stereo-Bluetooth, room etc. The RRS is feeling its age, where the RR looks and feels like it can go another decade - and it will. The big exception is the ivory Oxford leather on the RR which has worn really poorly, even with replacing the seat bottom skins once already. The leather on the RRS still feels and looks new. I gently clean and condition/protectant both the same - so it is the leather.
Thanks but from what I have seen in person and online the 14' FFRR and the 14' RRS have the same exact interiors now. Thus making the decision that more difficult.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Yeah, interior fit and finish of the RRS were already vastly improved starting with the mid-life MY2010 refresh, and the interior of the upcoming 2014 Sport "2.0" appears to be on a par (and virtually indistinguishable to the untrained eye) with the one of the big brother in just about every respect. The big differences are in interior and exterior dimensions, driving dynamics and looks now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After thinking about the engine issue/concern, I've changed the comparison to the FFRR supercharged vs RRS autobiography. That will make the big boy a little more fun to drive, especially when I'm behind the wheel!:dance:

·
Registered
382 Posts
The fact that I'm switching to the new RR after having 2 RRS's is an indicator of my opinion. I feel you can't go wrong with either however my reason for the switch is I want a RANGE ROVER not an Evoque. The Evoque is cool but I don't want a larger version of it hence my "upgrading" to the RR - I feel the 2014 Sport has more emphasis on "sport" and less on "Range Rover". :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
The fact that I'm switching to the new RR after having 2 RRS's is an indicator of my opinion. I feel you can't go wrong with either however my reason for the switch is I want a RANGE ROVER not an Evoque. The Evoque is cool but I don't want a larger version of it hence my "upgrading" to the RR - I feel the 2014 Sport has more emphasis on "sport" and less on "Range Rover". :)
Totally agree. I'm doing the same - place dmy order for the '14 FFRR and leaving the RRS behind.

I've owned a 2007 RRS SC and now drive a 2010 RRS SC, and have loved both. What I don't like about the new 2014 RRS is that it looks like an Evoque on steroids and is far less rugged and masculine than the outgoing RRS. The new FFRR looks, drives and feels like the real deal vs a downmarket approximation of the ultimate model. So what if the new RRS is 0.1 seconds faster on the 0-60 mph run? These SUVs are not sports cars after all and applying sports car metrics is ridiculous for the class of vehicle we're talking about.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
989 Posts
I'm still on the fence my self but seeing this picture from the 65th anniversary celebration:

Looking less than quickly, all I keeping seeing is an Evoque on the left and a Range Rover on the right. I don't think that's a good thing! Maybe the blue isn't flattering?

(There's only one Range Rover, RR is a enough of an abbreviation, no need for the FF BS)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Guys thanks for your input and opinions. We decided to order a RR supercharged fully loaded with the exception of the rear entertainment system.

Some of the reasoning is we have already had a sport for almost 8 years and its time for something new and different. Exclusivity of the RR. (at least the 1st few years). I didn't want to get the sport, as nice as it is, and regret it later. Thus taking a serious depreciation lose to upgrade to the RR. We plan to keep this vehicle for 6-8 years so the decision was crucial. Hopefully it will be a better ride experience and with the supercharged engine it will be fun to drive as well.

My delivery date is sooo far away in December so I'll just have to wait and enjoy the experiences of those who get theirs sooner. So please share!:)

If anyone finds an aftermarket company who makes the 22inch style 7 wheels only available on the RR AB please post a link.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good decision. It's the same one I made after two RRS Supercharged vehicles for the past eight years.

I too love the Style 7 wheels and looked hard and long at getting a '14 RR SC with the Style 7 wheels ordered as after-sale accessories. The bill for the wheels and tires alone came to just under $10K. In the end, I ordered the '14 RR SC Autobiography, with the Style 7 wheels as an option and the car is due middle of June (I ordered soon as the '14 order call went out). Can't wait!

I did look but was not able to find the Style 7 rims anywhere as original OEM or aftermarket replica parts. They're just beautiful wheels and perhaps someone will make replicas. In the meantime, JLR prices them so high as parts that you're almost better off getting an ATB just to get those wheels. On well... ;-)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on your order! The AB huh? You sly big dog :smile: and with a June delivery. I'm really jealous!! Please keep me/us updated on your delivery. What color exterior? interior? If I could swing it I would have loved to get the AB with the tan interior.

Those wheels are beautiful and I'm not usually a fan of stock wheels. My dealer quoted me about the same $10,600 for wheels and tires... I don't like them that much. lol. I ordered with the stock 21" wheels to use as winter/snow tires and I will find a nice aftermarket 22" wheel if I can't find an aftermarket style 7 but then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Keep in mind the limited all-season and winter tire choices available in the 21" sizes. I could not find a single 21" tire that I liked for winter driving and ended up ordering 22" wheels as a result. I know low profile is the trend, but I feel silly with 22's on a proper 4x4; it does beat sliding off the road though.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24-range-rover-mark-iv-l405/46612-no-all-season-winter-tires-proper-size-21-wheels.html

Congrats on your order! The AB huh? You sly big dog :smile: and with a June delivery. I'm really jealous!! Please keep me/us updated on your delivery. What color exterior? interior? If I could swing it I would have loved to get the AB with the tan interior.

Those wheels are beautiful and I'm not usually a fan of stock wheels. My dealer quoted me about the same $10,600 for wheels and tires... I don't like them that much. lol. I ordered with the stock 21" wheels to use as winter/snow tires and I will find a nice aftermarket 22" wheel if I can't find an aftermarket style 7 but then.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats on the decision to get the FFRR!

I was going to come back and say I would pick the FFRR HSE over the RRS ATB any day of the week.

I've done a lot of thinking between the two and the conclusion I can make is that the FFRR is whole another level compared to the RRS.

I guess the move to the S/C makes a better decision. As for the lack of the the rear entertainment option, I wouldn't miss the lack that, though it's too bad they decided to make the winged headrests part of the same package.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Thanks. Ordered a Santorini black on black '14 RR S/C ATB, Ivory headlining, Macassar trim, fixed running boards and the Style 7 wheels. I did look at the tan interior but was concerned that it might end up looking more orange than tan (hard to tell from pics). The other black variants (for the exterior) looked either too purple or blue to my taste, so went with the classic black combo. Counting the days now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts