RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys I need your input. We have an 06' RRS HSE since August 05'. We luv the truck and never have had any serious problems. It's mainly my wife's car and we only have 49K miles on it with my extended warranty in full effect until June 13'.

Its time for an upgrade and we're having a hard time deciding on either a RRS autobiography or a Full size RR HSE loaded. The price is about the same so that's not the issue. We test drove the RR a couple of weekends ago and it was nice but not super impressed because the RRS interior seems to be the same as the RR Sport. I like the exterior styling on the RRS better. I saw the 14' RRS AB at the NY car show and its pretty nice. I really like the tan leather you can only get in the RRS AB too!

BUT the Full size is The RANGE ROVER and all what it stands for. Its supposed to have the best ride of all Range rovers. My wife likes it better because she has had a sport for almost 8 years. I'm not crazy about the exterior styling but with some running boards and nice wheels it will be nice.

What do you think is a better choice?

Thanks in advance!

If its ok with the administrator I'd like to post this in the Full size RR (L405) forum as well to get some more opinions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One argument for getting the '14 RR (over the '14 RRS) is that it may have less "bugs" since this will be the second model year. First year models tend to have a few bugs/glitches that need to get corrected. Also, if you like the tan leather in the RRS, you don't have to get the Autobiography. The tan/ebony leather interior is available on both the Autobiography and on the Supercharged with Dynamic Package.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point about the 1st year "bugs", especially with these technical vehicles. It's interesting you mentioned the tan/ebony option on the RRS Supercharged. My sales person was trying to confirm that as well since it states that on his paperwork but it wouldn't allow him to build it online. Do you know if that tan leather is available on the Full size RR HSE or Supercharged in a package?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Personally, a loaded '14 SC RRS is far more appealing. The new RRS is really a FFRR "sported"... it's not like the current, smaller, on LR3/4 platform RRS. I think the new FFRR is meh, especially with a V6. I mean, come on, a FFRR HSE with a V6? Or a '14 SC V8 RRS that'll blow your mind? And it's not like you're getting a downmarket RRS, you're getting the maximum. Also, the FFRR is so old man. The outgoing IMO wasn't. The new one looks like a truck for an old banker who wears a suit 24/7.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I priced a fully loaded RRS supercharged it was only about 5 grand less than a loaded AB. It seems a better choice considering there's a few options you can only get on the AB.

I like the RRS exterior styling much better than the FFRR but its doable with some sidesteps and some nice wheels. But you're right about the engines.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
192 Posts
I like the RRS SC. Not convinced that the V6 in the HSE (FFRR and RRS) will be adequate, at least not until I drive one.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I like the RRS SC. Not convinced that the V6 in the HSE (FFRR and RRS) will be adequate, at least not until I drive one.
Although zero to sixty numbers show the SC V6 performing slightly better than the current NA V8, the SC V6 has really low torque numbers and only has it early in its curve... it will NEVER sound and feel like the current NA V8. The next gen V6 LR's might as well just be electric IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The full size RR is very boring and is reminiscent of the big boring Lexus SUV. It is for 85 year old men who don't like performance and heard once that a Range Rover is the quintessential SUV in the world.

The Sport is so much better looking and better performing.

My opinion is to go with a Supercharged Sport and leave the full size for the old man crowd.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The full size RR is very boring and is reminiscent of the big boring Lexus SUV. It is for 85 year old men who don't like performance and heard once that a Range Rover is the quintessential SUV in the world.

The Sport is so much better looking and better performing.

My opinion is to go with a Supercharged Sport and leave the full size for the old man crowd.
Here here! LR really screwed up the new FFRR IMO. It's far too soft looking and yes, very older gentleman. Anyone younger than 70 driving one around looks like they're borrowing daddy's car. And it's getting more and more boring looking as each month passes. The design isn't growing but rather falling backwards. LR should release a Safari FFRR edition or one that actually looks like it can do something other than sit in a garage. That "might" help the soft, old-banker stigma it is now getting. Got suit?

I like the fact that the new Sport is a "sported" and "shorted" FFRR, therefore, providing the comfort, space, "feel" of the FFRR but with an aggressive, younger look. And I'm not talking about younger as in being in your 20s or 30s, I'm talking about a segment between 40 and 60. And you can also get it for less $.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I never expected the old man references or comparisons with the 14' FFRR. I'm In my early 40's but I've seen younger and older people driving the previous model. I do agree with with the "quintessential" statement.

After thinking about the V6 engine concerns I have changed the comparison between the RRS AB vs the FFRR supercharged .

I really appreciate the feedback as I will most likely keep this vehicle between 6-8 years.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
You know, the outgoing FFRR was pure... understated class. It was a superb, classic and timeless design that was fitting for a banker, a surfer, a hunter, or a contractor. I could not even imagine a contractor pulling up to his construction site in this new one without feeling like a total pretentious a$$. The new FFRR is a technological marvel, there is no doubt about it. But it lost so much soul through the redesigning process. I have no idea who Land Rover is targeting for this new FFRR. The owner of Tata maybe?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The new FFRR boring? Hmmm, let's see, every young, hip, hot celebrity, Hoolywood actor, sports star who can afford one drives a FFRR., not an RRS. The '13 FFRR has been lauded in the international auto press as one of the world's best cars. It's been sold out for months worldwide and the wait list is even longer. I guess it must all those 70 year olds buying it...

Let's face it: The RRS is a very nice baby RR (I've owned two) but if you can swing it, you buy the FFRR. There is no comparison in terms of quality, performance, amenities, prestige, and exclusivity. Unfortunately, RRS's have become a dime a dozen. I see ten a day that all look just like mine. That's why I'm stepping up to a new FFRR - yes, they cost more but they're the real thing, beautifully designed and engineered, and they're still relatively a rare sight.

What seals the deal (for me, at least) is just how much more rounded, "metro sexual" and less rugged the '14 RRS looks compared to the current model. JLR is clearly targeting a more feminine audience (nothing wrong with that) but its not for me.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The new FFRR boring? Hmmm, let's see, every young, hip, hot celebrity, Hoolywood actor, sports star who can afford one drives a FFRR., not an RRS. The '13 FFRR has been lauded in the international auto press as one of the world's best cars. It's been sold out for months worldwide and the wait list is even longer. I guess it must all those 70 year olds buying it...

Let's face it: The RRS is a very nice baby RR (I've owned two) but if you can swing it, you buy the FFRR. There is no comparison in terms of quality, performance, amenities, prestige, and exclusivity. Unfortunately, RRS's have become a dime a dozen. I see ten a day that all look just like mine. That's why I'm stepping up to a new FFRR - yes, they cost more but they're the real thing, beautifully designed and engineered, and they're still relatively a rare sight.

What seals the deal (for me, at least) is just how much more rounded, "metro sexual" and less rugged the '14 RRS looks compared to the current model. JLR is clearly targeting a more feminine audience (nothing wrong with that) but its not for me.
You're talking past tense! All of your references are based on the '12 FFRR.

The upcoming '14 RRS shares the exact same platform as the FFRR... it's just shortened a few inches, roof-line streamlined, has different sheet metal, and sportiness added. It's huge as well. It is a FFRR sheep in wolf's clothing.

The current '13 RRS is based on a completely different downmarket platform from the outgoing '12 FFRR and shares nothing from its big brother. Compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges next time.

Also, the reason why the FFRR is "sold out" is because the output numbers are dramatically lower than the outgoing, it's not because it's "hot". It's simple math. Not consumer sentiment!

IMO, the new FFRR is very feminine and if that's your thing, that's totally okay! Some people like the soft, female touch, and feel confident and comfortable with salt-and-pepper hair-dye.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
the 13 FFRR is hot? I wonder why? why isn't the 14 FFRR hot as well when it is going to be available just around the corner? It is because both platforms of HSE versions will have a 3.0 L V6 S/C. That is what is pushing the demand for the 13 FFRR to be hot while the 14 FFRR isn't.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
the 13 FFRR is hot? I wonder why? why isn't the 14 FFRR hot as well when it is going to be available just around the corner? It is because both platforms of HSE versions will have a 3.0 L V6 S/C. That is what is pushing the demand for the 13 FFRR to be hot while the 14 FFRR isn't.
LOL.

All this what's hot and what's not is getting confusing.

It is factual though that LR's output is very low right now for the FFRR. Regardless of displacement.

The 3.0 L V6 S/C is a total deal breaker for me. I was just one step away from putting a deposit down for a fairly loaded '14 RRS HSE for an August delivery and ended up getting the '13 RRS HSE instead. Long live the V8. And I'm sure there are a lot of enthusiast (core customers) who feel the same way. But the sheeple will surely buy many of them. They don't care, it's all about the badge.

If I could afford the '14 RRS HSE V8 S/C I would have gotten that instead. But I cannot... so will wait a few years before doing so. I think the '14 RRS V8 S/C is hot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry guys, the '14 RRS looks like a girlie car. It looks more like an Evoque on steroids than an a downmarket '13 or '14 FFRR.

I have no doubt it will be an excellent performer, given that it is based on the technically superior all-new FFRR foundation. It will also be a good economic deal in that you will be able to get 80% of the FFRR in a much less expensive package. The only gotcha is that JLR really messed with the look of the new RRS vs the outgoing model in making it more feminine and softer. I cannot fault them for targeting the female market as that is a clear growth opportunity to attract more women buyers to the new RRS.

Bottom line is that the new FFRR is the ultimate package in the LR line-up. For those who can afford it, it is THE vehicle to have. For those not comfortable spending the money, stop rationalizing your choices by labeling the superior model as somehow deficient, and be happy that you can get a great car in the '14 RRS at a good price, albeit a somewhat lesser model.

That's the way the car business works. Different strokes for different folks. Otherwise, what are you going to claim next? That your C class Mercedes is somehow so much better than my S class AMG? It is not, and neither is the RRS over the FFRR.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Sorry guys, the '14 RRS looks like a girlie car. It looks more like an Evoque on steroids than an a downmarket '13 or '14 FFRR.

I have no doubt it will be an excellent performer, given that it is based on the technically superior all-new FFRR foundation. It will also be a good economic deal in that you will be able to get 80% of the FFRR in a much less expensive package. The only gotcha is that JLR really messed with the look of the new RRS vs the outgoing model in making it more feminine and softer. I cannot fault them for targeting the female market as that is a clear growth opportunity to attract more women buyers to the new RRS.

Bottom line is that the new FFRR is the ultimate package in the LR line-up. For those who can afford it, it is THE vehicle to have. For those not comfortable spending the money, stop rationalizing your choices by labeling the superior model as somehow deficient, and be happy that you can get a great car in the '14 RRS at a good price, albeit a somewhat lesser model.

That's the way the car business works. Different strokes for different folks. Otherwise, what are you going to claim next? That your C class Mercedes is somehow so much better than my S class AMG? It is not, and neither is the RRS over the FFRR.
Frugal is healthy, as healthy as having gold bars in a bank.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The RRS is a very nice baby RR (I've owned two) but if you can swing it, you buy the FFRR.
I would certainly like to think anyone buying a new Range Rover Sport could swing a full size. The Suprcharged is $80,000 and above and the
Autobiography gets over $90,000.00.

I don't believe every person driving a Sport is just saving up for the day he can finally afford a full size.

Anyone buying a new RR had better be in good enough financial shape to buy just about any vehicle he wants.

So, this being written, people buy the Sport because it is better looking (to them) and better performing, not because they cannot afford it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
I got the RRS hse lux specifically not S/C because it is for the wapce. She didn't want the 2013 FFRR hse and got first dibs when one backed out. Oh well, I have the escalade hybrid to drive around and when the RRS is in the shop(j/k).`)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts