RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to buy my wife a new car (so I could get my rangie back) and decided on a 2000 plate Mercedes ML320 (I know, I know)...

Anyway, I found one I liked and left a deposit as the guy was waiting for his logbook to be returned after having taken his private plate off.

So I decided to drive the P38 to London instead of catching a train - Not only did it break down on the motorway, but it took me 2 recovery trucks and a taxi 6 hrs to do a 2 hour journey :doh:

Can you say - Divine Retribution?

Now that I have had delivery of the new car, both my wife and I arguing about who gets to keep the P38!!! I knew I was pasionate about them, but never suspected the Misses to have fallen in love with it too...

The Merc is newer and shinier, but it lacks the overall experience of the 'Range Rover' magic...

I'm starting this thread in the vain hope that the abuse you throw at me helps to balance the 'ying and yang'...

PS - The breakdown was due to some muppet (me) topping up the oil without checking the levels... :doh:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ive had 5 Range rovers and two ML's

Some advice,

Look, if its money, whoever drives the most should have the ML because it gets better gas mileage

If its safety, Whoever has the kids gets the rover

if its reliability and what to do when something goes wrong, Whoever the on the median mechanic is gets the range

If its about the feeling of power, whoever wants to feel it gets the range. ML is faster and quicker put does not have that awesome feeling while driving, that i can go through anything in front of me feeling.

Worse driver gets the Range, safety again

Anyone that has to turn and fit into tight areas or drive in the city, gets the ML

Highway cruiser, Gets the ML

I can keep going but these trucks are apples and oranges. I love both of them very much and I never could decide even till this day which one I loved the most. Honestly, even now, i cant decide. I own a range, so i guess that means a lot but the range i have now is very special. Unique. I have never had another range like it. I guess in order of preference starting from worse to best , these are my choices

range rover gems 4.0
range rover 4.6 hse gems
mercedes ml320
range rover 4.6se bosch
mercedes ml430
range rover 4.6hse with ALL goodies bosch
Mercedes ML55

The only ml i would fight over vs the one i have now is a ML55. Other than that, im staying with the one i have.

I need a 2nd car right now,,,,hmm. Time to start looking for that 3rd ml

PS if you cant tell, i dont like change, newer yes, but not change, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the jokes and words of wisdom, guys... :thumb:

The wife can have the ML as it is more reliable and I don't mind leaving the rangie in London to catch a trian back to brum - Lets hope the wife agrees... :pray:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine loves ours too, but I've got a bigger & better truck, so I don't mind much. ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thats a big truck you got there.... :shock:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats a big truck you got there.... :shock:
You see them EVERYWHERE where I live :roll: . And I see a surprisingly large amount of rovers too, mainly Discos.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bigger yes, but better... not so sure about that.

Should have just doubled up and bought another range, Its not like the ml is any cheaper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Holy cripes thats a big Ford. The Rangie looks like toy next to that! You could probably fit it in the tray if you tried hard enough....

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Bigger and better are both realtive terms when compared to something. :roll:

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
allyv8 said:
Can you please explain why it is necessary to have a ute as large as that Ford ?
:lol: Most likely not in a public forum. :thumb:

·
Registered
211 Posts
allyv8 said:
Can you please explain why it is necessary to have a ute as large as that Ford ?
I own a construction company and haul trailers and equipment fairly regularly - plus when I bought it, I had 2 little kids, a dog & no wife!

That ole boy has 203,000 miles on him, and still going as strong today as he was 10 years ago - and gets 16+mpg.

Honestly I'm more comfortable behind the wheel of that, running down the highway at 70mph pulling a car on a trailer than I am sitting on my couch with the TV remote in my hand. Something about a long wheelbase that gives a smooth ride.

But our Rover is pretty nice too - I won't mind driving it as soon as I work out all the bugs. ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
The BIG Ford trucks, especially the diesels, will last forever (can't say the same for the rangers and F150s 8~ ). I see them all over where I live because there is a lot of construction and expansion occuring in our area. Hence the need for a big truck. The diesel ones, despite their size, do not do terrible on fuel economy. Usually 16 to 20ish depending on if you like to race everyone at the stop light. I like the big trucks, but I do a lot of city driving. I don't like trying to drive an aircraft carrier in a small university parking lot! A cruise ship (the RR) is bad enough :wink: .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Parking it can be like docking the Queen Mary, but I have found that people tend to get out of my way. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I remember having a conversation with a friend in NYC who had bought a Ram 2500 (long bed, double cab) to replace an Expedition.
He was telling my economical the 5.9 diesel in the Ram was.
How I laughed when he told me that he could just touch 20mpg on a good day, he looked rather shocked when I told him that my diesel RR would do 20mpg if I was driving around at 100mph.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I really cant see the point in a ute that big,if you need to shift large or heavy loads use a proper truck,and drive a sensible car.There must be an awful lot of fuel wasted by people just driving round in those things with nothing in the back.

·
Registered
541 Posts
allyv8 said:
I really cant see the point in a ute that big,if you need to shift large or heavy loads use a proper truck,and drive a sensible car.There must be an awful lot of fuel wasted by people just driving round in those things with nothing in the back.

Kinda making a broad generalization aren't you?

No doubt there are many in this country who have an oversized vehicle for what they need to do, I won't deny that. However the owner of this truck already made his case and that is a "proper" truck for what he does. I come from farming country and those trucks are put to work day in and day out on the farm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts