RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for a long road trip in my 2000 Range Rover. What tools/stuff should I bring in case of a roadside emergency?

·
Registered
170 Posts
A breaker bar and a socket for the lugnuts, I think its about 23 mm? Someone correct me if I am wrong. If you have a flat, chances are the OEM lug nut wrench will not work and probably bend.

Basic set of MM sockets/wrenches at the least.
Jumper Cables

There are a ton of stuff. How long is the trip?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cell phone

And if you have verizon, activate the towing feature for 3 bucks a month.

·
Registered
867 Posts
A Honda Civic in the back.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Long trips tough on Range Rovers I take it?
Nah, I did 2000 round trip at Christmas, no problems. The truck ran great.

If you haven't had the wheels of in a while it might be a good idea to try to remove them before you go. The alloy wheels "fuse" with the steel on the hub and they can be a real pain to get of (ask me how I know). Far better finding out at home rather that at the side ofthe road. If you do take them of make sure to put some "anti sieze" paste on the hub.

Other than that, just make sure you have a spare everything, and you should be fine `)

Enjoy the trip.

Mac

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Fine wine, good cheese, maybe some bubbly....

I just did 3000 miles in a month, she came due for an oil change halfway so I did that...

I did have a boot full of tools/spares and a rovacom on hand...

I think it's more age than miles accumulated in one shot that's hard on them.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
two jacks, can of tyre inflator stuff, two fire extinshers, two complete socket sets, spare sockets ontop (always want two 13mm for some reason) crow bar, breaker bar, and yeah as others have said a decent lug nut wrench, spare air compressor, spare air spring assembly for front and back, spare serpentine belt, spare radiator hoses (I am lazy and only have two of the 4 or 5) length of heater hose, comes in handy for lots of little hoses in the engine bay, millions of fuses/jar of screws/cableties/heatshrink/bits of wire/light globes, few chocks of wood, DECENT jumper leads at least 5 meters long, laptop running rave/eas software/other stuff, manual eas box to plus into ecu and control stuff, tire repair kit, bag of ratchet straps, rechargeable magnetic lights, maglights, bottle of oil, water, radiator concentrate, bars leaks, atf, can of wd40, can of silicone spray, can of water dispersant, spark leads (I am lazy only have 2 spare), plumbers tape, electircal tape, duct tape, rope, garbage bags, screw drivers galore, several sets of multigrips, one of those impact screwdrivers, spare charger for my mobile phone, poncho, tarp, worm hose clamps, epoxy glue, several sets of different types of pliers, decent handheld UHF/CB radio, and not to mention the spare tire and a printed copy of rave.

Sure I have forgotten a heap but thats the everyday drive around stuff except for the air springs they take up allot of space.

Ohh and a small fridge permanently wired in with full provisions of cold drinks, have a 37litre waeco I can happily recomend :)

then again I have done a few long trips in a few range rovers, and I always forget to take the part that breaks........ and you can only takes so much and still fit luggage in the car considering I have a LPG tank in there too.....

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
:lol: All joking aside, if your rig has been reliable there is no reason to believe it would fail jsut because you are on a trip. It is jsut as likely to have a fault locally as on a road run. I have driven to Charlotte and back twice with no issues. Phoenix twice and Palm springs via San Fran 3 times. THe only issue I have had on any trip was a failing UJoint returning from the RRnet meet last year in Bodega Bay. All I carry is my AAA card, a socket set and a jumper box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A spare car in tow if you are traveling inland.
A jet ski if you are traveling near water.

....and a satellite phone may come in handy.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Forgetting JSP who appears to be doing the Camel Trophy or G4 Challenge, then.....

Jump leads; towrope; work light; a few litres of water (= emergency coolant/screenwash/handwash/etc); WD40 with spray tube; NZAA card.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Gagamac said:
If you haven't had the wheels of in a while it might be a good idea to try to remove them before you go. The alloy wheels "fuse" with the steel on the hub and they can be a real pain to get of (ask me how I know). Far better finding out at home rather that at the side ofthe road. If you do take them of make sure to put some "anti sieze" paste on the hub.
Check this out:
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33919

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Give the car a good service before your trip, and chances of something going wrong will be a lot smaller. :thumb:
Engine, brakes, propshafts, EAS, cooling system and tyres (also the spare) are most important things to check.

Think about what you can change at the side of the road without too much trouble, and make sure you have all the tools for it with you. A drive belt for example is easy and light, so take one. With a set of general tools, sockets, spanners, screwdrivers... you'll be able to get a long way.

If you can, also take a faultreader or diagnostic tool, can always come in handy.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
541 Posts
A BFH. Comes in handy for persuading things to loosen up, or persuading your spouse to STFU. :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
S.D. rack and all of the above... I do like the AAA card...

Scotty

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the new Ferrari Italia has one of those built in hydro (or pneumatic) jacks, like F1 cars do (or used to?). Pistons deploy from the undercarriage. Self contained jacking system, now that would be veeeery nice....hmm...we do have a compressor on board already.....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Chris X said:
I think the new Ferrari Italia has one of those built in hydro (or pneumatic) jacks, like F1 cars do (or used to?). Pistons deploy from the undercarriage. Self contained jacking system, now that would be veeeery nice....hmm...we do have a compressor on board already.....
It's probably slightly nearer the ground to start with so only needs a few inches of lift. You'd need a two-foot piston for the RR, which may intrude into the passenger compartment a tad! :shock:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts