RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

What strength of winch would suit a P38 ? Use will be mud terrain but not hardcore offroading.

If you have preferred model, tell me. 8)

Cheers

Flo

·
Registered
170 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think LR put a 9k lb winch by Warn in the factory winch tray. Id say around 9k lbs or so at least.
If and when I get a winch, it will be a Warn, IMO they are the best, or close to it.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I've always understood the rule of thumb to be double your vehicle weight.... but I personally wouldn't have a problem using a 8k lb winch on one, since you'll probably use it to pull other people out more frequently than you will yourself. I'm not saying that you won't get stuck more, but it seems like the guy with the winch ends up pulling everyone out...even when a simple yank on a strap will do. Sort of a "I just paid $800 for this thing, I'm going to use it as much as possible" sort of thing.

Back to question.... I'd go for a 9k lb like said above. And there are some great deals to be found on Warn winches sometimes on eBay. I saw brand new 8k lb M8000 warns selling for around $550 last year...which is a steal in my book.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
9000 lb IMHO, to answer your original question.
I wont get into the whole Warn vs the world debate, but will offer my experiences....
The RR has a Warn, completely screwed up to the point where it kills the motor when you try to use it!
Last wheeling rig had a T Max 9k with synthetic line. A little slow line speed, but 110% reliable.
Currently have a new series Smittybilt XRC10k winch with synthetic line and a T Max wireless controller. Again a little slower line speed than some of the Warns, but 110% reliable.
I will never own a Warn, as their quality and customer service are in the toilet IMO. There are quite a few guys on other forums that are having a nightmare of a time with them after spending @$1000, and getting told "bad luck" by Warn. They USED to have the best product, but not anymore IMHO, when I can buy @3 other makes of winch for the same price as 1 of theirs and get better customer service.
Just my experiences, and not what I have heard etc.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I've been out of the 'core wheelin for awhile now...I didn't know the new Warns sucked along with their customer service. My first winch was a Ramsey REP8000, and it served me well. I think it was $400 back about 10 years ago. I still have the winch plate from it...and if the time ever comes that I feel I need a winch on the P, I'll use that plate to weld up some sort of hidden system.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Whilst on the subject of winch's. I'm after a new rope for mine, I'm thinking of getting one of those plasma ropes I've heard about. Apparently the benefit of them is that they tend to be stronger and if they snap the drop to the floor rather than whiping back with the tension. I imagine these would be expencive. Does anyone have an educated opinion on these ropes compared to convential wire or synthetic rope?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
A lot of the Warn stuff is actually made in China now, just assembled etc here.
I think that the T Max (one of the ARB companies) was an excellent winch for a fair price.
The earlier Smittybilt's had issues, but they since went to a series wound motor and are proving very good.
So far as the line goes, I have never heard of the "plasma ropes". I have always ran synthetic line myself, and it is lighter and safer than the steel cable. I always get mine from here
http://winchline.com/

Martin

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Over here they have called the synthetic line "plasma compound" so maybe its the same thing? I know of no one that wheels with anything but steel cable or synthetic, with synthetic rapidly outweighing the cable.

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since all those are made in china or from chinese components, i'll buy either a Tmax or a Comeup (Come up are made in the same chinese factory as the Superwinch). I believe that a low cost one upgraded with decent wiring and synthetic rope could be a good deal.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
996TURBO said:
Since all those are made in china or from chinese components, i'll buy either a Tmax or a Comeup (Come up are made in the same chinese factory as the Superwinch). I believe that a low cost one upgraded with decent wiring and synthetic rope could be a good deal.
I use a T Max Boomer Box on my Smittybilt 10k I currently use. Its a wireless controller that also has a wire in case the battery in the hand held goes dead etc.
Pretty much all of them come with good cable any more, and a wireless controller can be had pretty cheap.

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,357 Posts
I have fitted a 10,000 lb Maxtra winch which I bought brand new on Ebay for £65 !!! postage cost nearly as much again though. I chose this model because the dimensions would just allow it to tuck in under the front bumper with the OEM winch cover fitted.

It is made in China like everything else these days. It looks the same as a T Max. Guess it is re badged version. Works fine.
I haven't got stuck to use it in anger yet but to test it I dragged the wifes car down the drive with the hand brake on - she doesn't read this forum thank god. Seems robustly engineered but the finish is a bit rough in places.

Minor problem was that I had to open up the control box and remake one of the relay connections to get it to work in and out. At that price, hell, bin it and buy another.

I replaced the wire cable with a rope for a number of reasons:-
The plastic OEM winch cover will not fit with a wire cable because it needs a roller fairlead which is quite bulky.
A cable is difficult to wind back on the drum nice and neat.
Safety - a wire cable can be very dangerous if it snaps.

I bought 38m of 10mm Dyneema 60 rope. It is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMwPE) rated at 7850 Kgs - more than enough for 12,000 lb winches. It is made by DSM in Holland. I think Plasma is a US brand.

Since I fitted it I found there is also quite a weight saving. The rope plus the aluminium hawse is considerably lighter than the wire cable and the steel roller fairlead.

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
For almost all winching situations, a good rule of thumb is to get a winch rated at about twice the weight on the vehicle. Anything in the 8-10k range should work great!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bit of a side question here but guys with winches fitted to P38's, are you running a second battery and split charge setup to run the winch or are you using the vehicle battery ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,357 Posts
I am using a single 100 Ah Elecsol dual purpose carbon fibre battery.
It is suitable for both deep cycle and engine start. Rated at 375 CCA.

Reading the blurb with my winch the amp draw is as follows:-

• line pull lbs amps
    0 40
    4000 130
    6000 170
    8000 240
    10000 340
sorry -can't do a table

The winch will only pull 10000 lb when the rope is fully out and the winch is winding onto the first layer on the drum.
The vehicle engine should be running when using a winch and a DSE p38 alternator puts out about 120 amps.
For most situations I would think a 2 to 3 ton pull would be enough so the winch would draw a maximum of 170 amps, 50 amps net out of the battery.

Dave

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I have never ran 2 batteries. I run the big Optima red top in the RR, and the regular Optima red top in the Heep.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Uh oh, I bought a Yellow Top because the man at the store said it was best for a truck with a winch due to the fact that its a deep cycle/starting battery. Should I have gotten a red top?

I use a M8000 on my Classic and Ive never had a issue, I also overhauled the charging system so I know its getting enough juice. I have only had to use a snatch block a few times.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I cannot see why you would have an issue with the yellow top Optima. I have just always used the red tops myself.

Martin

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cheers guys, I've been wondering whether a dual battery setup is the answer to run a winch but you know what these vehicles are like and the hissy fit they throw with dodgy batteries.

So a good quality HD battery (I like the look of that Elecsol dual purpose carbon fibre battery Dave mentioned) and maybe a high output alternator and we're in business.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts