RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2016 RR HSE with 29k miles on it for $50k. It has all the maintenance logs with no issues listed with past ownership. I love the RR but extremely nervous of its known problems. Currently I’m 0-1 with RR, my 08 I had for only a couple months blew its engine. Is it worth it looking at or trying to find an 17’ with a bit more miles for a few $ more? Besides the over the air update, what’s the difference? I plan on doing routine oil changes myself. What are some common mishaps with the 16’ 17’ RR?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Land Cruiser and you decide when you go to the dealer, not the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Land Cruiser and you decide when you go to the dealer, not the car.

Comparably, I had a LX570. Within a year I had to replace the water pump and constantly had issues with the suspension. The back cargo area was tiny as well, the folding third row took away so much room. I liked the Lexus, just not enough to never want a RR again.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I'm here with a 2017 that lasted to ~100k with no issues. I sold it.
My 2 2014 Sports really didn't have issues either.

Expect to do 5,000 mile oil changes MAXIMUM to prolong the life of the timing chain tensioners, and do water pumps every 40k miles or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking at a 2016 RR HSE with 29k miles on it for $50k. It has all the maintenance logs with no issues listed with past ownership. I love the RR but extremely nervous of its known problems. Currently I’m 0-1 with RR, my 08 I had for only a couple months blew its engine. Is it worth it looking at or trying to find an 17’ with a bit more miles for a few $ more? Besides the over the air update, what’s the difference? I plan on doing routine oil changes myself. What are some common mishaps with the 16’ 17’ RR?
We have a 2015 RR SC that I bought for the wife about six months ago with 38k miles. We did buy it certified (gave us warranty till 2022) and that made me fell a lot better about buying it. The brakes were squeaking the first day I took it home, but the dealer did replace all four brake pads and rotors for me since it was CPO and it should not have had those issues. Besides that it has been great so far. We had an LR4 a few years ago and it was solid. Oil changes at the dealer were pretty expensive, but if you feel good about doing that yourself you should be in good shape. 50k for that low of miles seems like a very fair deal. Is it from a LR dealer? If so can they certify it by any chance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a 2015 RR SC that I bought for the wife about six months ago with 38k miles. We did buy it certified (gave us warranty till 2022) and that made me fell a lot better about buying it. The brakes were squeaking the first day I took it home, but the dealer did replace all four brake pads and rotors for me since it was CPO and it should not have had those issues. Besides that it has been great so far. We had an LR4 a few years ago and it was solid. Oil changes at the dealer were pretty expensive, but if you feel good about doing that yourself you should be in good shape. 50k for that low of miles seems like a very fair deal. Is it from a LR dealer? If so can they certify it by any chance?
Thanks for the info, it is from a LR dealer. I’ll ask about the certification, though I assume I already know the answer. We’ll see.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you're not going to fix it yourself, and 10k-20k repairs invoices from the dealer worry you... pass on it. Not to say it'll have problems, but if it does and you cannot repair it yourself expect to pay a substantial amount.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
the '16 HSE with such low miles will most likely not need $10k-$20k repairs any time soon. Buying some warranty can eliminate those worries.
To the OP, the main difference between 16 and 17 was the infotainment update. The system in the '16 is simpler - less things to break.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
the '16 HSE with such low miles will most likely not need $10k-$20k repairs any time soon. Buying some warranty can eliminate those worries.
To the OP, the main difference between 16 and 17 was the infotainment update. The system in the '16 is simpler - less things to break.
Unsafe to assume a range rover 'most likely' will not need repairs for a long time and go into it unprepared. It already sounds like OP learned that lesson the hard way. As far as a warranty, make sure you get something very reputable because those are not all created equally.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
It's based on more than just an assumption. You don't see those things happen to 494s on this forum. what happened to previous generation land rovers should not be a benchmark for the L494 or the L405.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It's based on more than just an assumption. You don't see those things happen to 494s on this forum. what happened to previous generation land rovers should not be a benchmark for the L494 or the L405.
I was more referring to the complexity of the car and the repair price vs know issues of past models.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Even if you did, there's still no data to support a reasonable probability of $10k-$20k repair bills of L494s or L405s with 30k miles. Or 50. Or 75.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Even if you did, there's still no data to support a reasonable probability of $10k-$20k repair bills of L494s or L405s with 30k miles. Or 50. Or 75.
There is actually a lot of data to support that. Historically Land Rovers are near the bottom of the reliability scale and near the top of the cost of ownership scale.Have you ever owned one of these out of warranty? Any one thing or a host of small things can add up quickly to those numbers. I'm on my 9th range rover, it is best to be prepared for the worst when you're out of warranty. Is it certain you're spending 10-20k on repairs? No. Is it possible? Yes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is actually a lot of data to support that. Historically Land Rovers are near the bottom of the reliability scale and near the top of the cost of ownership scale.Have you ever owned one of these out of warranty? Any one thing or a host of small things can add up quickly to those numbers. I'm on my 9th range rover, it is best to be prepared for the worst when you're out of warranty. Is it certain you're spending 10-20k on repairs? No. Is it possible? Yes.
I have owned a 2012 L322 since April and have spent more in repairs than payments.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Did you read what I wrote? it doesn't look like it. And again, you're going back to history and the note below yours is again bringing up an L322. Can we talk about this in the context OP put forward, and talk about an L405, with 29k miles. What should he or she expect? I'd say, definitely not $10-$20k repair bills any time soon (assuming the car has been properly maintained so far). And yes Brad, I have owned some L322s (2007, 2008) and L494s (2014 and now a 2017) out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have owned a 2012 L322 since April and have spent more in repairs than payments.

So far my l405 has been trouble free
Did you read what I wrote? it doesn't look like it. And again, you're going back to history and the note below yours is again bringing up an L322. Can we talk about this in the context OP put forward, and talk about an L405, with 29k miles. What should he or she expect? I'd say, definitely not $10-$20k repair bills any time soon (assuming the car has been properly maintained so far). And yes Brad, I have owned some L322s (2007, 2008) and L494s (2014 and now a 2017) out of warranty.
Yes I read what you wrote. You're entitled to your opinion. Right now mine makes a clunking noise when turning at slow speed. I see the TSB to change out the fluid and reprogram the transfer case. I'll carry that out myself. The dealer wants to replace the transfer case to the tune of $7200 when I brought it in. If I weren't dyi and and let them carry that out, plus the brake job the car needs... We're at 10k and that's assuming nothing else goes wrong. The car still may need a transfer case to boot which will be pricey regardless of dyi. In the context of the OP... ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! I mention the l322 because the cost of ownership is similar obviously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts