Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I replaced my front windshield two years ago at a body repair shop about 50 miles away from my town. It was covered by my comprehensive coverage, but because I wanted a Pilkington-made windshield, I had to go to that shop, the only one within 100 miles radius that could get one. I must say the staff was extremely friendly and I was very pleased with their courtesy. The mechanic even moved all of my stickers from my old windshield to the new one. BUT after all I went there for a windshield replacement. I DO care about how the job was done.

Unfortunately, the job was done poorly. Following the replacement, my truck developed all sorts of weird noises almost right after I got back onto the Interstate.

Recently, I decided to look into whatever issues that are causing the wind noise. First I found out that they used some generic fasteners (maybe just whatever they had in their shop) to fix the A pillar finishers. Those fasteners are completely different from those "scrivets" used by Land Rover. Some even could not get into the holes and they left them there half-inserted. The old "washers" (rubber caps) were all destroyed but remained stuck there. I did not check the clips IN the finisher, but I am pretty sure they are not in good shape.

The wiper cowl has several broken clips, not to mention that those clips are an absolutely stupid design -- extremely fragile, almost one-time-use. One clip on the top is missing. The rubber seal on the cowl does not touch the glass at some locations. I pried the cowl off the glass and saw horrible workmanship in placing the adhesive bead -- excessive was all over the glass-steel interface.

When it comes to the upper molding, it detaches from the roof-glass border at some locations. I applied some Permatex clear adhesive sealant to all the crevices, and taped them down for three days, hoping to at least reduce the noise from the upper edge of the windshield.

Now I removed the tapes and the molding now does rest firmly on the roof-glass border. However, the annoying wind noise is still there. I started to doubt if the mechanic placed the molding in the correct way, as I noticed that the molding obviously has a front and a rear.

I am wondering if anyone who thinks that his or her upper molding is in a good shape could kindly take a picture of the molding, so I could compare with mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Minedhas never been replaced as far as I know. It's a 2003. Hope these help!
Thanks my friend!

Mine looks the same, direction-wise... But it just gives me horrible noise...

·
Registered
44 Posts
How bad is the wind noise? I have a little bit of one but nothing worse than any other car on the freeway. I also have a problem the occasional with water leaking from in between the headliner and windshield during heavy rainfall. Thinking that mine might need to be replaced at some time in the near future.

·
Registered
248 Posts
@mcgrecon the molding is just a cosmetic finisher. It does no sealing, it is just for appearence and to reduce wind noise.

The windscreen glass is bonded to the frame with adhesive and that is what should stop the water coming in. I don;t think that ever fails though so probably the water is seeping in from somewhere else - perhaps the sunroof or some perforating rust in the frame itself.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
I posted this a couple of years ago:-

"On my 2010 I had to have a windscreen replaced after it was damaged by a 'flying object' (never saw what hit it at 70 mph!). Afterwards I became aware of increasing aerodynamic wind noise as speed increased - a disturbing 'hummmmm..' - which sounded to be coming from the top right corner of the windscreen.

There is a plastic and moulded rubber insert at the forward edge of the roof rack channel which is held in its groove underneath by a flimsy white plastic clip and which curves down over the top edge of the windscreen. When that breaks (as I was told "they always do" when removing them to replace the windscreen but the fitters didn't have a spare available when they fitted mine!) the moulded rubber thingy lifts slightly in the slipstream passing up and over the windscreen which creates the 'hummmmm...' but as you slow down it settles back in its groove so the fault is not obvious on inspection when stationary.

A new 50c white plastic clip solved the problem. I hope yours can be solved as easily
."

Worth investigating?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted this a couple of years ago:-

"On my 2010 I had to have a windscreen replaced after it was damaged by a 'flying object' (never saw what hit it at 70 mph!). Afterwards I became aware of increasing aerodynamic wind noise as speed increased - a disturbing 'hummmmm..' - which sounded to be coming from the top right corner of the windscreen.

There is a plastic and moulded rubber insert at the forward edge of the roof rack channel which is held in its groove underneath by a flimsy white plastic clip and which curves down over the top edge of the windscreen. When that breaks (as I was told "they always do" when removing them to replace the windscreen but the fitters didn't have a spare available when they fitted mine!) the moulded rubber thingy lifts slightly in the slipstream passing up and over the windscreen which creates the 'hummmmm...' but as you slow down it settles back in its groove so the fault is not obvious on inspection when stationary.

A new 50c white plastic clip solved the problem. I hope yours can be solved as easily
."

Worth investigating?
Definitely! Thank you so much!

Is there any picture? It would be very helpful if there is any to help finding the culprit.

And I guess the white clip is LR014488?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Definitely! Thank you so much!

Is there any picture? It would be very helpful if there is any to help finding the culprit.

And I guess the white clip is LR014488?
Sorry, can't help with a picture - and I don't want to pull that piece out for a photo for fear of breaking that flimsy plastic clip again! :) I don't know the part number either - don't have a parts catalogue to which I can refer.

The clip is 'H' shaped and about 1½" long and ¾"wide

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, can't help with a picture - and I don't want to pull that piece out for a photo for fear of breaking that flimsy plastic clip again! :) I don't know the part number either - don't have a parts catalogue to which I can refer.

The clip is 'H' shaped and about 1½" long and ¾"wide
That's not a problem!

Font

Does the clip above look familiar to you? If it does, then it probably IS flimsy...

I assume it rests under the molding that runs longitudinally along the edge of the roof near the door openings, which bends down a little bit where it meets the windshield upper molding.

Just wondering, if this thing on mine also broke, can I glue the molding or tape it? I have some good Permatex adhesive sealants and some really tough 3M tape. It's hard to get this part in the US -- shipping from UK costs tens of time more than what two clips worth!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, that looks like it.

I'm taking my RR in to a main dealer for service tomorrow. If you like, I will see if they have those clips available and pick up a couple which I can mail to you. You can pay for them and postage to my son who lives in Florida. :)

Just PM me your postal address this evening if you want the clips.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that looks like it.

I'm taking my RR in to a main dealer for service tomorrow. If you like, I will see if they have those clips available and pick up a couple which I can mail to you. You can pay for them and postage to my son who lives in Florida. :)

Just PM me your postal address this evening if you want the clips.
Thank you very much for your offer!

Surprisingly, I found a seller in Europe who carries this clip and the parts plus shipping is even cheaper than if I buy them here...!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts