RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type (single stage,2 stage etc) of paint system was used on the P38.
Plus was it classed as soft,medium or hard.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
When i corrected my paint using my D220, the paint seemed to be reasonably hard, but not as hard as German (VW, BMW) paint. So probably medium in your terminology.
I guess it's twin pack if you've a metallic paint colour?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good question. I have the Alpine white color. I think it is fairly hard. I was doing some touch ups and wet sanding to blend in the touch up paint with the OEM paint and it didn't seem like there was really a "clearcoat" over the color coat, but didn't seem like laquer or enamel either. Dunno!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Chris X said:
Good question. I have the Alpine white color. I think it is fairly hard. I was doing some touch ups and wet sanding to blend in the touch up paint with the OEM paint and it didn't seem like there was really a "clearcoat" over the color coat, but didn't seem like laquer or enamel either. Dunno!
I guess the Alpine White is a solid colour so probably not 2 pack :think:

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
My Beluga is single step paint and polishes out quite nicely. Infact it is about time to do a cut and polish on my hood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cornishman said:
When i corrected my paint using my D220, the paint seemed to be reasonably hard, but not as hard as German (VW, BMW) paint. So probably medium in your terminology.
Cheers lads.
I have the Rjoca red whichI believe is a pearlescent,not quite as harsh as a metallic.
I am plodding away with my rotary and some menz polishes/compounds trying to remove 14years of agro but it's all my agro so can't complain and it's coming up a treat so far.
Cheers for your help chaps. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
PAULBROM said:
Cornishman said:
Cheers lads.
I have the Rjoca red whichI believe is a pearlescent,not quite as harsh as a metallic.
I am plodding away with my rotary and some menz polishes/compounds trying to remove 14years of agro but it's all my agro so can't complain and it's coming up a treat so far.

Did you clay first? Otherwise you can be scratching you paintwork with the contaminants embedded in the paintwork :thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cornishman said:
PAULBROM said:
Cornishman said:
Cheers lads.

Did you clay first? Otherwise you can be scratching you paintwork with the contaminants embedded in the paintwork :thumb:

Sure did.
Rinsed
Washed
clayed using QD
Washed
Polished/corrected
Limeprimed
waxed
Now knackered and only half done

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cornishman said:
Chris X said:
I guess the Alpine White is a solid colour so probably not 2 pack :think:
I'm thinking you are quite right on that. One thing i do know is that some mild rubbing compound really does nice work on cleaning it up and bringing the shine back, no scratches or swirlies, and she polishes up quite nice, mostly by hand. I have all the pro buffing gear but didn't need to go that far other than a electric polisher for wax removal. I was shocked how well the touch up paint blended right in with some light wet sanding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts